8 wt. for Big Water Smallies

S

Sylvaneous

I'm in the market for an 8 wt but don't have many options for casting around me. I did get a chance to cast a TLS 4 pc. and really liked it pretty well. My price range is in the $300-$400 range. I haven't gotten to a FLi 8 wt, but heard I'm better off with a little better rod for getting that little better edge in distance. I haven't cast a Scott A2, but like other Alphas I have bought. I wansn't knocked-out by the VT2 5 wt I cast, but what about that 8 wt.? I'd love to try a Scott E2, but $500 is just beyond what I want to pay. I want to stay with an American rod. I saw the Cabela's SLi was American and some people liked it a lot. the GL3, while old as my grandaddy's buckskins, is a popular choice.
Fly Rod & Reel did a "Best 8 wt" in June. What did they have to say? Anyone Remember? I saw they liked the Redinton CPS, but again, an Asian number. All of Bean's rods are all Chinese as well. Shame. AND they cost more than they used to! Don't want a TFO.
Share with me, fellas.
Syl

St. Croix makes an 8 wt. designed in conjunction with Bob Clouser. It is specifically designed for fishing bass flies. Model # is Legend Ultra U898-4. MSRP is $350.

salvelinus wrote:
St. Croix makes an 8 wt. designed in conjunction with Bob Clouser. It is specifically designed for fishing bass flies. Model # is Legend Ultra U898-4. MSRP is $350.

I have the 2 pc model. I purchased it in a carity auction a while back. Anyway, I think it's awesome. You can really feel the leverage of the rod flex. It's designed to have a relatively stiff tip and a slower butt section, so you get a deep bend in the rod with a very easy stroke. It's best for large flies and/or sinking lines. I find it easier to cast than a Sage RPL+ I was using.

Back