6 weight

P

Perkasiezeb

looking to add a 6 weight to the arsenal. Intended uses are streamer fishing, some steelhead fishing on smaller trips and hopper/dropper set-ups. There are many options to choose from. Lengths options are 9', 9'6" and 10 feet. Traditional butt vs fighting butt. Any insight would be helpful

I wouldn't go 10ft for a streamer rod. I've found that extra length is not any advantage with that type of fishing. In fact, it won't help much except for nymphing.

Honestly I'm not sure you are going to find a single rod thats ideal for all three of those things you mention.

I'd go for a 9 ft 6wt for hopper dropper. A 9 ft or shorter 6 or 7wt for streamers depnding on fly size, fish size, and the water you're fishing. For the steelhead the 10ft rod comes into play as a nymphing rod, I'd go 10ft for 6wt if its just PA trips, maybe the 7wt if you fish the bigger OH and NY tribs.

Or just get a 9ft 6wt. It's handy and does just about everything pretty well.

Kev

That's funny because in "Strip Set", when discussing choosing a streamer rod, the author recommends the longest fly rod you can comfortably get around with.

allowing for the fact that I came back east 15yrs ago,during the 30yrs I lived in Montana and streamer fished 90 % of the time I went with a 9' 8wt..for bigger waters,bigger flies and 9' 6wt. for more genteel fishing the smaller streams.Regular rods,fast tip action and they could do the job just fine...

Look for a discounted Sage VXP, really sweet stick for that size because it has a lot of feel for its weight. I think there are still a few around. If this is going to be a "generalist" stick for heavier conditions you probably don't need to spend top dollar.

I have a fighting butt on my 9'6" 6wt. It's cool and gets used probably once or twice a month when the conditions are right, but I wouldn't be influenced greatly by it.

Back