unconventional material flies

Leteras

Leteras

I was thinking since there was a thread on here about using unusual materials. Maybe we could do a swap or contest doing just that. Flies created out of unusual materials. You could tie anything you wanted but it would have to be made with unconventional materials. The fly would have to be able to withstand getting wet and be fishable. What do you guys think?

That would be something different maybe someone will accidentally find a new material that can be commonly used. I watched some fly fishing show on the outdoor channel that had les claypool in it and he tied some flies out of all kinds of crazy stuff like pieces of his socks and what not and caught lots of trout out west.

My buddy ties a realistic cricket out of a tissue and it is totally waterproof and damb near indestructable. If you put a real cricket next to it it would be hard to tell the difference too.

It's hard to find anything "unusual" these days though. What do you consider unusual, just out of curiosity?

anything from Fishy Fullum's book called Tying with Common Household Materials. Quite unusual... but cool to read.

Someone actually did that swap a few years ago. The only fly I remember was Jay's "Pocket Lint Scud" or something like that.

Boyer

It is an interesting theme for a swap, but the definition of "unconventional" would have to be set. There really isn't anything out there that hasn't been used or talked about.

JH

Well how about materials that are obtained from everyday things. Stuff lying around the house or garage for example. Anything that you commonly use. Nothing that is conventionally sold in a fly shop with the exception of hooks, thread and head cement. I mean you could use anything from the bristles in a toothbrush, electrical tape, glittery nail polish, lint, easter grass, holographic tifor example. The fly must be able to get wet and not fall apart when fishing it. The only limit would be your imagination.

How about a Mickey Finn tied with balloon mylar and fibers from a duster?

The only limit would be your imagination.

Yesterday at the fly fishing show in Lancaster I saw the bristles with bulbs from a hair brush being used for the eyes of a Crayfish and fake fingernails being used for hardback beetle shells.

MattBoyer wrote:
Someone actually did that swap a few years ago. The only fly I remember was Jay's "Pocket Lint Scud" or something like that.

Boyer

I hosted that swap and it was a good one. Jays scud got me into several nice fish on spring creek. I tie a caddis fly that David ties for that swap that uses green exercise band material. You have seen it before . It is good for many things .

Barbie hair and confetti. I caught a 16 inch bass on it

Old audio cassette tape for scud and czech nymph backs

i would be down for that leteras

Well if there is enough interest we can do a swap.

come on pet owners..... you've never use dog or cat hair for dubbing? I know I have. :)

Yellow Labrador retriever fur for dubbing on walts worms.

Back