tying for steelhead

flipnfly

flipnfly

so im about to start tying for steelhead it just hit me what kind of streamers and nymphs do you guys have the most luck on.... for me i had luck on that bh chinchilla streamer from lastyears steelhead swap and a sparsely ties blue olive and white clouser those are the only 2 streamers i have had luck with

pics , links ,patterns are not only encouraged but appriceated

Best streamers are bunny leeches and comets.

Best nymph is my own stonefly pattern.

Hook: size 8-10 curved long nymph
Tails: Black biots
Dubbing: black
Rib: red wire
Thorax: lite brite or ice dub in various bright colors
Wing case: black swiss straw with a piece of sparkle braid pulled over it, kinda like a vein on the back of a shrimp.
Legs: Two biots tied on the sides, pointing back over the wing case.

i think im going to try to tie a few of these it looks alot like the one from the swap

few doubts about this one though
1 it looks like a pain in the butt to tie
2 durability
3 are double hooked flies legal in pa

im off to further research this

Most of my Lake Erie steelheading was done before 1998 or so and I really don't know how the vastly amplified pressure in the intervening years has affected how the fish respond to various flies.

But, when I was fishing them, it was a pretty reliable rule of thumb that they would chase a moving fly if the water temp. was 40F or above. If it was below 40, they would not chase a moving fly, or at least very seldom.

So, in warmer water, I always fished big white wooly buggers (on a 3XL #6 hook) unless the water was very clear. Then I would drop down to an 8 or 10 and occasionally switch to black.

In colder water, I almost exclusively fished a variety of eyed egg flies. Actually, these are better called "mushroom flies" as they are just 3 hanks of glow bug yarn lashed perpendicular to the shank and then all pulled up together and clipped to a length of between 3/8 and 3/4 inch. This makes a mushroom shape that is all above the hook shank and for me at any rate, beats the h--- out of fiddle-dinking around trying to make a round egg fly.

In clear water, I'd tie these on a size 10 or so wet fly hook. If the water was dirty, I'd tie them up to a size 4. This makes a huge, highly buoyant fly that takes about 5 BB shot to sink. But it always caught fish in water where you couldn't see your toes if you were ankle deep. I never thought color mattered all that much, with the exception that I never did well on orange for the main color. I probably caught the most fish on yellow with a red eye and chartreuse with an orange eye.

I always thought that learning how the fish utilize the shale substrate of the stream when they move and hold was 10 times more important than fly choice. They'll hit anything eventually. Then they may never hit that same fly again for the balance of your natural life. I once watched my Dad hook like 7 out of one pod in 10 casts on a #8 smoke colored crappie twister jig fished on 10 pound test with a snap swivel. In clear water.

No sense often makes perfect sense when fishing for steelhead.

size 12 for murky and 16 for clear water. Spawn or egg / spawn or egg setup. Vary the colors. This is my two fly rig 90% of the time.

Standard HE or soft hackle nymphs work well. For streamers, bunny leeches or bucktail patterns work. Don't get caught up tying pretty flies because if you're fishing them right, you'll lose a dozen+ a day.

I honestly catch over 90% of my fish on these flies.

Basic nymphs in sizes 12-14 mostly.
Hares ears, PT, and especially Princes. Sometimes fish are VERY willing to take them on the swing.

Yarn Egg flies in sizes 10 to 18.
colors (in order of production) - egg with salmon dot, blue with pink dot, salmon, red

Sucker spawn in sz 14-18
yarn in cream, white CM, pink CM, yarn in light pink.

That's my arsinal. I'll toss the occasional streamer or bugger, but this is what is on my line almost all the time I'm up there. Look forward to hookin a few fish with you this fall!

Ryan

You've got 2-3 months left there Nello. If you're starting to tie now, I hope you have a few hundred flies for when the season starts. I did that last year and still have a good amount left. Now I just have to fill in the holes. It was well worth it now that I will have far less time to tie with the little one coming soon.

this year is going to be a tying barrage to the likes which i have never seen before i say that now but who am i kiddin im lazy ill tie a dozen the night before lose em the next day tie more lol
i still have a plethora of eggs left over
even some big ones like someone we all know >>wink

GRHE in #12 & #14
Black Hare' Ear Nymphs in #12 & 14
Prince Nymphs in #12 & 14
Sucker Spawn in shades of Pink, Pale Yellow, Peach, and Chart. on short shank #14 hooks
Black Wooly Buggers
White Wooly Buggers

Erie Steelhead is more about finding active, un-spooked fish and getting good drifts than going nuts with dozens of fancy patterns. Stick to easy flies that can be mass produced. You are going to lose a lot any way.

Kev

Little one's due in 2.5 weeks. It's getting close. Can't get myself to go out fishing now just incase I get that call. That's ok though.

Those sz 10 eggs are money makers. Get a heavy wire sz 10 scud hook and go to town tying. I seem to catch more fish on those big eggs than the smaller ones. I don't know what it is, but you've seen them work!

I tied 6-700 trib flies last summer. I'm only really out of the staples: estaz, crystal meth, sucker spawn. I'll probably spend an evening tying this september and be done with it.

If you can get the motivation to get it done, go for it. I'm glad I did.

crystal meth, white salmon egg, pink sucker spawn.... honestly I tried a glass bead deaqd drift and it was amazing. check out flyfishingbuddies.com they sell the beads. they are made of glass..work amazing!

I usually have to start by filling in the holes that were caused from the previous season. I usually always have to tie egg patterns as they do not hold up well(rust). Usually start the year with small trout sized flies and finish in mid winter tying poom-poom sized eggs. Streamers are intermingled throughout as they usually hold up well year to year. Season should be starting in a month or so targeting the lake for the explorers(summer run) yes there are a few who run in Lake Erie. The more you get into the chase of steel the longer ones season will be. Mine usually starts in Mid summer and goes till the hatches start in the spring.

Try some brightly colored saltwater streamers for salmon and steelhead this fall. I learned from a fly tying legend up this way thats what he uses and he had the pictures and stories to prove it, I've tried this method and had luck last year.

Back