tying for a beginner fly fisherman

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I've got a few friends who are starting into fly fishing. I told them I'd tie them some flies to start out with. I want to give them enough to start, but don't want to be tying for weeks. I need to tie some for myself for goodness sakes.

So if you were in my position, what and how much would you tie.

I'm thinking around 20-30 flies.

basic nymphs - he, prince, pt, zug, midge
few streamers and buggers
adams, bwo, griffiths gnat, ants, grasshopper
green weenie, sjw, eggs

just tying 2 or 3 of those is getting up there.

I think I got myself into trouble lol.

to get him started i would go with
12 basic nymphs -- hares ear, pheasant tail
12 streamers -- wooly buggers bucktail streamers
12 junk flies -- green weenies, globugs, san juan worms

or if you have an extra vise -- invite him over and teach him how to tie.

I like the list redrock submitted, try to figure out 4 patterns in each category, then go for 3 of each.

I would also add some drys: CDC & Deer/Elk Hair caddis, Griffith's Gnat, Lime Trude and BWO.

Or tie them a few essentials, like GHRE, PT, Bugger, Weenie, and Caddis Pupa and send them to theflystop.com. They can fill their boxes for next to nothing with quality flies. I've been very pleased with my purchases & service.

Hare's Ear and Pheasant Tails are easy to tie and productive. I'd give several examples of each, including a beadhead and in different sizes.

A couple of buggers, and some easy soft hackle wets.

A couple of Royal Wulff's to try the techniques of dry fly fishing, and to really enjoy what the sport has to offer. They're easy to tie, they're durable, high vis and float like a cork. Its a perfect fly to practice with.

So, that's nymphs, streamers, wets and dries. Four patterns, all easy to tie and to understand that covers everyone of the main forms of fly fishing.

Have them watch and then tie there own. I have several kids that love to tie flys that are yet to use them.

I'll second redrockgrizzly's list. Keep it to a few basics. You can always lay out all your materials and do a bunch at once. One of the biggest time wasters for me when fly tying is trying to find specific materials and hook sizes in the mess of tying stuff I have. Get it all laid out and do all the buggers etc in one fell swoop.

Back