sulphur nymph

C

cranefly

Messing around with some ideas for my mid may trip to central PA. Please let me know what you think of the sulphur nymph I tied up. Thanks for the input, and I can't wait to be back on the creek.
Hook-sz 14 2xl
thread-brown
tail-mallard
rib-sm amber
lead wraps with bead tied under shell
dubbing-rust with dark hares ear, and a little purple
legs- partridge
shell-turkey tail

David

Attachments

• sulphur 2013.jpg
    sulphur 2013.jpg
    800.8 KB · Views: 14
That is very nice, I like it better than a PT nymph, looks good.

Yea, I like that. Looks great.

That is a great looking fly David! No need to save it for sulphurs. Looks like it would probably mimick a lot of mayfly nymphs.
Mike.

I think you did an excellent job with the tie. If I would be critical about anything, it would be the color. Sulfur nymphs are the master of camoflouge, mottled light and dark. I do realize the color varys with the river basin and region, and maybe your color does represent the streams you fish. I blend dubbing that is difficult to define because it varies as I wrap the fly. Just a thought.

Thanks for the input guys. It's funny how every year I tie a few hundred flies of different patterns for this trip, and basically use a sulphur nymph, sulphur wet, and maybe a bugger or two. It's fun to experiment and tweak the different patterns , hopefully improving each season. Thanks again.
D

Shoudln't the underside have some yellow?

Back