streamer tails

daman1277

daman1277

In my thought process of creating new streamer flies I came across the tails you tie in that resembles for lack of a better name rage tails. They look like the wiggle tails on plastic worms for bass. I was thinking of tracing a few out since I spin fish with them on to felt and cutting them out to tie in to flies. Would felt be good or would like a thin leather be better?

I tried some of those,They were bigger than I expected and didn't turn the way I was hoping.Not saying that they don't work just didn't like the end result.

Go to a Jo-Ann fabrics and get white ultra suede (you can color with a marker). Cut to desired shape and tie on. I've had success with Tyvek too. Go crazy man!

Interesting idea, seen a few things. I think some of the action of traditional plastics is lost when they're shortened. The suggestions above may work out better for you: suede, tyvek (interesting), and rubber bands. Dude, maybe even condoms.

Felt would soak up the water, like JG said the commercially available creature tails and such are ultra suede.

I have been looking online for those tails, any suggestions as to where to get them?

Hareline Dubbin has several models including the Flymen Frantic Tails as seen here:

B2B97A6A-7E6F-4F97-841E-EDC3C64BCC5A.jpg

Yes, I tied it

J Stockard has them, listed as Cohen's Creature Tails. Put out by Hareline

Found them Cohen attractor tails

Back