selscting hackle question

flipnfly

flipnfly

ok so my tying is improving (in my eyes) and i think im ready to move on gradually to better materials what do you guys look for when selecting quality capes and or hackles

Well, obviously buying a name brand is a start. You can get the Indian necks for like 5 bucks off of ebay or something, but obviously the feathers are going to be of no quality whatsoever. I would recommend Metz, Whiting, or Keough. Keough necks are about the cheapest and have decent quality. The Cabela's or Bass Pro brands can be pretty good. But, a lot of times you can get burned on them. So, you might as well spend the few extra dollars and get a good one.

If you tie a bunch of flies in the same size you may want to consider get the whiting 100's packs. You can get them at some places for like 10 bucks or so.

I haven't seen "bad" whiting hackle. IMO the best you can buy and 100 packs take the guess work out of sizing.

I generally don't buy expensive rooster necks sight unseen because the number of small sized feathers vary greatly from neck to neck. That being said, my favorite dry fly stock comes from Collins hackle partly because his variety of variegated colors and the overall look when wrapped and he sells the saddle with the neck for one price. I'm no good at attaching links but you can find him on the web. I stock up at the Somerset show but that's over for this year. Good Luck!

If you would like to learn more about hackle, you should listen to this podcast from AskAboutFlyFishing.com:

http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/speakers/thomas/thomas.cfm

Great advice from someone who knows hackle. This will hopefully answer many of your questions.

Here's a quick good read...there are links to other things you;ll find important as well.

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/part15.php

But basically its about the webbing, the stiffness of the barbs and the length of the feather. Stiff barbs with little webbing for dries and softer barbs with lots of webbing for your wet flies. That's a little over simplified but you can read and figure it out.

I saw this on another board - "You can tie bad flies with good materials but you can never tie good flies with bad materials" You are always better off to buy the best neck you can afford.

I noticed this in the 2010 FFing catalog at $9.99

Cabela's Saddle Value Packs

They list the sizes as #14 and 16 with enough hackle to tie 100 flies, as in the Whiting 100 packs. One of the choices is a sampler pack. Obviously it depends on what they send you, but if the first choice suggestion of Collins hackle is beyond your price point, and if you're ordering something anyway (otherwise the shipping charge is too steep), this "may" be an inexpensive way to try out dry hackle.

I emphasize "may" because I have never used this hackle.

i was on that colling farms hackle page and they will send you samples i dont know what a sample consists of but i would assume its enough to tie a few flies

http://collinshacklefarm.com/ i have heard good things about these people

flip,

I bought 2 Collins necks at the Somerset show and am very happy with the quality. I hand selected them, but since you are out there in W PA, and the closest dealer is in Boiling Springs, on-line ordering is probably your only option. The Collins guarantee on the site you posted is as follows:

"Our Guarantee
We started raising capes because of dissatisfaction with what was available years ago. Like many of you, we got "burned" a number of times dealing through the mail so we understand any reluctance that you may have. Our guarantee on anything we sell is simple: if for any reason you are dissatisfied with an item you receive from us, return it in the original condition for a prompt refund or replacement - NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Our service is prompt and so are our refunds. You will not be stuck with any item you do not like. If you order outside of the continental United States you do so at your own risk and with no guarantee."

I'd say give it a shot. Good luck.

Here is another place to buy them http://greatfeathers.com/dryflyneckswsaddle-chd37.aspx

thanks for all the info guys

Back