photographing flies

Bruno

Bruno

question:

What would you all suggest to be the best background color for photographing flies ??

Open any catalog you have...orvis, llbean, feathercraft, the fly shop, cableas...see what they are using...thats how I ususally begin when I have those kinds of dilemmas.

White will work best in showing up the flies' true colors, but you will need to watch shadows. It might be better to use black with a strong light. Try different shades with the light source postioned differently and see what turns out.

I use a dull blue most of the time, but often substitute brown (depending on the color of the fly).

I'm no expert on the subject, but here's an article on that very subject:
http://globalflyfisher.com/gallery/digitizing/backgrounds.html

All off the photos of flies are taken with a light nuetral background, usually pale blue or beige or tan. You'll sometimes see then taken against stone or treesbark, but a light fly should be taken against a darker background then a dark fly, which should be taken against a light background. The nice thing about taking digital images is the ability to take pictures and view them immediately, and discard the ones that suck, and improve on the images that are decent. Good lighting is essential for shooting flies but use indirect lighting.

Back