pheasant tail fibers

daman1277

daman1277

When I grab pheasant tail at the fly shop I normally just grab it and go. Well tonight had the opportunity to really look at the selection. Well they now have red and blue bases colors for the fibers. Has anyone used these yet?

and purple, black, yellow, olive, pink, etc. i dye and sell all colors..tie a lot of pt. nymphs in olive and yellow shades..

Yea it is nothing new. Different patterns call for different colored pheasant tail.

I just never saw it before I just grab the natural and go.

I had a few days last winter on the Saucon where these size 18 PTs I tied with an orange died tail feather made the fish go crazy. I'd switch to a natural and have no strikes. I keep a selection of PTs in various colors now from light to dark brown, orange, olive, black ,etc.

Orange and Red this time of year seem to work better than the natural color.

I know it's been mentioned before, but you want to buy the first feather -- longest with eaqual sized fibers on both sides of the stem. Whish yields twice as many flies at the same price.

For you guys that tie PTs with colors like orange and red - what material are you using for the abdomen? Standard peacock or peacock colored dubbing or do you change that up too?

I use the same shade of PT.

I make the wing case and legs fromt eh tips of the fibers and wrap the butts forward.

Back