october caddis

redrockgrizzly

redrockgrizzly

anybody have a good pattern for the october caddis. im looking to fish Penns on friday. im guessing a elk hair caddis size 12 with burnt orange body and brown wings would work from the pictures i seen. thanks

I'm tying these for the great brown caddis which is close to the october caddis and is hatching now.
hook---10
hackle---ginger
body---rusty orange/yellowish ab caddis
wing---light deer hair (elk)

Attachments

• 9-20-12 017.jpg
    9-20-12 017.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 2
  • 9-20-12 018.jpg
    9-20-12 018.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 2
Here's the wet fly/ emerger I use
hook---10
body--- burnt orange honey bug
hackle--- bmfs mottled ginger
thread--- burnt orange

Attachments

• 9-20-12 020.jpg
    9-20-12 020.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 3
thanks for the patterns, ill tie some up tonight during the football game.

Let me say, large orange caddis flies work great for me in general during the fall season. I usually use a 10 or 12 orange EHC as a dry dropper and I'll often get strikes on it, even fishing streams with no visible caddis hatch. I don't know why. I've tried it in the spring and summer with no luck, but come mid Sept. through November, it works like a champ.

I love it. I love orange!

Sandy I love that emerger/wet pattern. Is there also a nymph pattern?

Have a bunch of those emergers available, 'cause I'm buying some when I'm up at "THE" Pine in November.

late november ?? like turkey day time ?? might be in catskills till day before deer...
use a stick cased caddis

I'll be around then..........try a stick caddis for nymph/larva....

Sandfly: "Hackle- bmfs"

BMFS??

big mutha-f*ckn' snipe? What?

Pls explain.

(Nice fly btw)

Bad MoFo'S

SB: somehow the profanity is funnier when it comes from your quill.

But it was a sincere question nonetheless, to wit: What exactly is BMFS?

my own bred hackle for soft hackle and wets and streamers. i crossed several breeds to come up with them..lost the whole flock to a frackers dog..

That dog went missing, correct?

shot 2 out of 4 dogs this year, every time i shoot one they get another cur. went to court with the state on the killings and stupid judge said state didn't have enough evidence...dog had feathers in mouth chickens were dead.....duh.........no more 22 mag coyote loads 20 ga. #3 buckshot from now on..last cur i shot lived from coyote load, it fragmented but at to close of range to do any real damage...dogs are running loose again and I just started getting new birds to breed...

Very sorry to hear that Sandfly. My GSP pup was recently viciously attacked by a neighbor's pit bull - nasty wound and bad infection resulting. If I had been armed at the time it might have been different. I support your current defensive position. And best of luck with the new flock.

Would it be impolitick to ask what the initials BMFS stand for? Or is it a trade secret?

Feathers in mouth; dead chickens - insufficient evidence. Reminds me of R. Cogburn's famous quip about "petty-foggin' lawyers."

Also reminds me of my dog's misfortune. After the pit bull's male owner and I pulled the dogs apart, the female owner of the pit bull showed up and denied her dog had done the grisly deed. I said: "lady, look at your dog's tongue and jaws dripping with blood - that's my dog's blood!" She replied: "You're a liar!"

Country's gone to h*ll.

Tups wrote:
Would it be impolitick to ask what the initials BMFS stand for?

BMFS = Big Meadows Fly Shop. Sandfly is the owner.

Great little shop - well worth a visit for some top notch tying supplies.

I simply math the colors and tie it in a #12 deer hair wing caddis pattern.

Back