newer tyer looking for good wet/nymph and dry dropper recomendations

D

DJBerg

so i can tie moderately at best, and am now on a mission for smaller stream dry dropper combos. if any of you would be kind enough to share some info i would be super grateful.

thanks DJ

You should do well with an elk hair caddis with a caddis pupa or a pheasant tail dropper. At times I like to fish a dry with a emerger dropper.

If I have to trail something I like to use something that might represent the nymph of the dry you're fishing. Hare's ear for a march brown, PT for a sulphur, etc. I mostly use a zebra midge or small PT but if fish are already rising and taking on top I don't bother.

For a nymph a small bead headed pheasant tail is deadly. The simple version just uses pheasant tail tied in as a tail and wrapped up for the body - that's it. Try on a size 18 scud hook.

Ha thanks guys, well tonight was a first tying somethin other than inch worms and beatles on 18's n even though there isnt much to a phesant tail or I also did some brassies. My back hurts, my eyes feel crossed man then you drop a hook... forget that Im only 33 but I feel like im 90!

Now time to try some dries for above them.... oh boy.

DJBerg wrote:
Ha thanks guys, well tonight was a first tying somethin other than inch worms and beatles on 18's n even though there isnt much to a phesant tail or I also did some brassies. My back hurts, my eyes feel crossed man then you drop a hook... forget that Im only 33 but I feel like im 90!

Now time to try some dries for above them.... oh boy.

Have fun with it

I fondly remember those days he's in right now. At the vise for so long your back got stiff, staying up past midnight trying to get something right on that fly. When I first started tying if you came to the door you were fair game to look at my ties. :) Enjoy your time at this great hobby that's so intertwined with another great hobby. Don't forget to save some of your early ties, years from now you'll be glad you did.

yeah it's funny i dont think it's the time frame, with me i think it's more concentrating on not screwing up, dropping that itty bitty hook and bead, and not just relaxing. i can sit and tie stuff im comfortable with and be fine. its the littler and the new patterns, and not getting the feathers to do what i want. any ways so i did a few sz 14 cadis pupa attempts, a bead head pheasant, a copper ribbed pheasant and two brassies...

here's your laughs sorry for the crappy cell phone photos.

Untitled by dj.berg, on Flickr

Soft hackles and adams parachutes.

When you're tying these flies how many of each are you tying? I like to line them up in front of me that way if I have something that needs changing on it I've got a visual, once I get it right I take a razor to the "bad" ties and redo. The more of the same pattern you tie the better they come out. Repetition of material handling is important I think. Btw, you'll catch more than sunnies with those. ;-)

Those will catch trout for sure.

One old piece of advice is to tie at least a dozen of each pattern when you are getting started. You will notice each fly getting better and eventually they will look like you want.

a small update, i watched a hatch on the local stream and it seemed to be tiny little tan guys, so i grabbed some sz 20 hooks and made a few parachutes.

attempt no.1

attempt no.2

is the post on no.2 too short? and any and all critiques are always welcome!

the post is pretty much for you to be able to better see the fly when fishing it, so that's a personal preference thing.

If you're talkin' small stream, as in brook trout fishing, I use a royal wulff or elk hair caddis almost exclusively, and lately I've been dropping a soft hackle PT.

Honestly, once they start looking up, no need to drop anything. Try putting on two EHC hahaha! I drop the soft hackle just for fun, and its fun to see how many will take it compared to how many slam the dry.

In the winter, a big stimy w/ a green weenie or san juan worm works, but not as well as buggers. The only time I drop on small streams is when we're transitioning from cold winter water temps into warmer spring temps. That weird limbo stage where the water MIGHT be warm enough for the brookies to start rising, but they aren't coming up consistently yet.

Back