mayfly rib

A

alatt

Do you rib march browns and brown drakes, or just march browns. What color?

I just rib my march browns with a dark brown color. If I'm not mistaken, the picture for the header of every page is a MB. You can see the lighter body color, but the dark ribbing of the body. The brown drakes, especially the spinner are a solid brown. Below is a pic of the Brown Drake I took last year on my phone.

Attachments

• Photo_052909_002.JPG
    Photo_052909_002.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 4
I usually don't bother, however I think lighter dubbing (than what most people use for march browns) is a more importnat adjustment.

I have a package of march brown dubbing that is dark brown (the color of the back), but the belly of the fly is very light.

If you are talking nymphs, I use wire or thread rib.

108%20Dun.jpg

That's the color dubbing I use. It darkens and the color becomes more uniform when wet.

http://www.thedelawareriverclub.com/flyshop/dubbing-c-22.html

I don't rib the duns. I don't think you can really see the segmentation as much on the bottom of the bug.

picture_80_medium.jpg

DRC dubbing kicks some major butt! I use the same stuff all the time I was just tying some March browns today. It gets a bit darker once wet.

BTW thats a nice tie JayL

I rib them with yellow floss because their underside is, um, yellow.

http://www.theanglersnet.com/Fly-Tying-Videos/play_video.asp?section=6&VID=136

Unfortunately mine aren't quite that nice. It's from the DRC club site.

Do you have any experience using the dubbing for nymphs? I use it for dries, but am always skeptical of that light color for nymphs. It does get a nice tone to it when wet, but still looks kind of light. I usually put a PT or turkey shell back on most of my nymphs that I tie with it, as I think the dubbing is a better match of the underside. What do you think?

I've never tied a nymph with it. I think that they have some colors that are made for tying nymphs Im going up thursday so I'll check it out and let you know!

They do. I got the sampler of all colors, and there are some browns. It comes with a set of cards to tell you which color for which bug/stage. The dark colors are still a bit light for me, but I haven't gotten one properly waterlogged yet. I think the shell back definitely adds a hint of realism.

Back