in water motion of arctic fox question

flipnfly

flipnfly

how is the motion of it in the water we have a mysterious aka secret killer steelhead fly and we are trying to decypher the recipe... and i think i have it narrowed down to finn raccoon or arctic fox or a blend of both but i dont have any to compare it to is why im asking

it depends on what type of fur and how it is tied

with AF there is body fur and tail fur
Body being a softer fur with shorter hairs... tail is longer and a bit more kinky
both have longer guard hairs, but with the body fur, isolating the guard hair is near impossible due to the soft under fur's "stickiness"

How is is tied? in reverse? stacked? loop?
Do you have a picture?

there are also many varriations of goat hair... and there are some tying companies sourcing some strange genetic mixtures

Pro-tube has this new stuff they are launching that is like AF tail with double the lenght and a bit stiffer

all i have a is a pic in the pic it looks like marabou just olive on top some flash some gold tinsel and white on the bottom and a bead head its a really simple tie
ill post the pic soon

does it look something like this?
the purpule underwing is AF

91fc9d28.jpg

yeah kinda

ill post a pic when i get a better pic of it the one i have it was a video a crappy one at that

Try T's fur at www.tubeflytech.com its amazing and has incredible motion in the water. Tony has a video of it in action there in his swim tank. I have the fur and it is great. He is a friend and I usually barter steelhead flies with him to get my material fix lol. The fur is long and you can tie quite a few flies out of one hank. I think it is around $15 a hank but its worth it in my
opinion.

thanks for the link... but i did end up buying finnish raccoon it has motion in the water the is almost the same as marabou and better than rabbi t its incredibly soft but keeps its bulk its not supposed to flatten out like marabou ill post a report once i give it the cup test

Back