emerger

GenCon

GenCon

A hendrickson emerger I am playing with. This is my second one.
Any thoughts? Also camera advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

GenCon

Attachments

• P1010485.JPG
    P1010485.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010477.JPG
    P1010477.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 7
I tie that same fly. It looks fine and will catch fish.

That fly hits all the important keys, nicely done.

The overall proportions of the fly are great and I like the wisps of woodduck for the tail and the trailing shuck. Great looking segmented biot body and the buggy thorax. I also like the orange thread but the wing of a Ep subvaria is dark dun and your wing color appears to be yellow. Is it a resultant of the lighting that makes the wing look yellow?

Is that a CDC Puff feather you are using for the emergent wing? I used to think they were neat looking and shaped well but in reality I think they suck in waterproofness compared to natural CDC feather tips. As soon as the Puffs get really waterlogged the fly is really hard to revive even with patting it dry and immersing it into a dessicant. When I use Trouthunter.com natural CDC feathers all I need to do after they get slimy, or very waterlogged, is wash them in the river, blot them dry and false cast it a few times and they come right back to the dry fullness.

Nice fly!
For what it is worth, I tied a few flys the other day that started out as CDC loop wing emergers and at the last minute became snowshoe foot wing emergers. I fished them on Thursday and could not belive how much better they floated and they seemed to be as effective as the CDC.
Mike.

Need to tie some more of this hendrickson ermerger pattern...ready for the Gunpowder.

Attachments

• hendrickson emerger.jpg
    hendrickson emerger.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 6
wbranch, the wings are dun color. Just bad light for my camera work. Yes they are oiler puffs. I hade not tried them before. I will take a look at trout hunter feathers. Thanks for the input. Anyone have any camerea advice? Thanks for all the other compliments.

GenCon

GenCon, nice tie there and an effective fly. I tie the same fly too. If you put a few thread wraps at the base of the CDC, the fly will sit a little lower in the water. Sometimes that helps.

I'm with FrequentTier on this one. I love snowshoe for emergers. Actually have a few that I am hoping to test soon of a combination of cdc and showshoe. anxious for them to see how they do.

I'm with wbranch. I tried the puffs once and they suck. I have not used snowshoe but know sumone who swears by it.

Two thumbs down on the oiler puffs. I now use Marc Petijean premium stuff and tie in the tips only.

+1 on snowshoe wings. Hit that cdc with dry magic and it will lost like a cork.

I've also switched from CDC puffs to snowshoe hare.

After yesterday's outing I can definitely say it's far superior. I could never understand why my CDC puff emergers were more like nymphs.

Thanks for your reply's guys. I do use snowshoe on other patterns. I had not used the oiler puffs before. They just seemed like a good idea. I will take your advice and use quality CDC or snowshoe on other patterns.

Thanks,

GenCon

The Trouthunter "puffs" work fine. The pattern you have would be better if you put two, or three together.
IMGP1657.jpg

Snowshoe is great, too. But the CDC puffs are easier to tie, and if cared for, work well

Mr Gutcutter wrote,

"The pattern you have would be better if you put two, or three together."

I concur 100%. I tie pretty much all my duns and emegers with CDC wings and I grab a bunch of feathers from the bag and look for three feathers that are symmetrical and have a nice full shape. Then I place one on top of the other until all three are like one and if the tips are not even I use my thumb and forefinger to slide them up, or down. Then I hold the three in my right hand with the tips towards the tail, I transfer the three feathers to the thumb & forefinger of my left hand and do three semi tight turns with the thread and then when I see the wing is situated properly I cinch it down with 5 - 7 more thread wraps. I too only use the tips of the CDC and discard the rest.

I use the tips, but instead of throwing the rest of the feather away, I trim the remaining barbs off. I have small bead containers that interlock. I use these to keep custom dubbings. I have one for each color of cdc feather I use. I then will use these cdc extras to mix with dubbings or to add to a dubbing loop for my nymphs.

Neat idea to save the CDC barbules to use for other purposes.

looks good, your lighting needs adjustment, make it more even and try not to use the flash.

+1 to becker. I use the tips only for wings. I keep a bag of the stubs and strip the fibers off when I need them. I use them for spinner wings or to place in split thread for hackle.

Back