early stones

sandfly

sandfly

i will probally get some flack from this, but why does everyone fish a black nymph for the early stones when in fact they are more brownish in color.

Attachments

• aaaa.jpg
    aaaa.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF4648.jpg
    DSCF4648.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF4647.jpg
    DSCF4647.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 4
I knew some were brown, are there any that is black in color? In the Whiteclay creek we took samples years ago and found very slim black nymphs. Needle fly stoneflies perhaps? I remember several members commenting that they tie the stonefly nymph way to fat.

needle fly is dark grey to blackish/brown.
only the winter stone fly is a dark color grey/black

Ok, for these nymphs it would be better to mix black/brown dubbing that way in different sizes you're covered.

I usually mix several colors for my black nymphs starting with dark hare's mask then some browns , orange, claret, purple, black, etc. and then of course there's the thread color to either lighten it or darken it.

sandfly wrote:
i will probally get some flack from this, but why does everyone fish a black nymph for the early stones when in fact they are more brownish in color.

Well I wouldn't exactly call those flies a close match in terms of color either.

To answer your question, I've found black nymphs to be extremely effective. Not just when stones are active, but year round. Particularly in less than clear water, such as we often have in spring.

Kev

Thats funny... I was wondering why some tie them inn hunnters orange :)

like I said flack ...lol
sorry been playin with new filters and lens on camera.
here is the actual color.

Attachments

• DSCF4687.jpg
    DSCF4687.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 6
There it is...........Looks buggy.......the outline/sihlouette is more important than the color....even saf-t orange......when they are looking up into a bright background what they see is a dark/black outline.........motion is the other thing.....skate those orange bastids!!!!!!

Back