dubbing question

F

flynoob

Probably has an obvious answer but are there cetain types of dubbing for dry flies vs. wet fly/nymphs?

Usually the "buggier" looking dubbing; with more hairs and courser fibers is for nymphs.

There is also nymph specific dubbing that is made from shaved metal, therefore designed to sink.

For dries, a lot of anglers use "superfine" which is synthetic and repels water a little better than say hare's mask.

However, you can use most dubbings for both.

All the info on dubbing you will ever need:

http://ukflydressing.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sbs&action=display&thread=4046

Great link afish!!

thanks for the help fellas

I'd like to mention something i don't think anyone else did and i think it matters , although it might just be one of those old wives tails that us old timers beleive in. For dry flies i always try to use fur/dubbing from "green" pelts , untanned ones , i think the tanning process removes the oils and other natural substances that keep the animal dry. Just something i do and maybe something to consider. If you are a do it yourselfer you can come about many green pelts by various methods not excluding fresh roadkill. Salted and dried but not tanned , befriending a local trapper might be a good idea and you might be able to bargain if they fly fish.

Back