caddis

troutmagnet

troutmagnet

i fished the caddis hatch earlier this year on the tulpy, and was wondering what are some easy and effective way to tye caddis nymphs/pupa's.

I tie mine on curved Tiemco 2457 hooks mostly in sizes 14 and 16
I use a Gold or Copper 7/64 tungsten bead.
Tie in a pc of flashabou for you ribbing,
dub a olive,tan,or caddis green rabbit fur body
then wind about 4 or 5 even wraps of your flashabou ribbing. Then dub a dark brown or black spiky head with hares ear or squirell dubbing whip finish and your done.

This is one of my go to flys they are simple to tie and you can bang out alot of them quickly. Try adding a hot spot in some of them. A colorful band of dubbing usually Pink,Orange,Red,Flouresant Yellow or Purple in between the head and body. I did pretty well this weekend with an olive caddis with a purple ice dub band.

ok i will give it a try, thanks

honey bugs and honey bugs with hackle..

troutmagnet wrote:
i fished the caddis hatch earlier this year on the tulpy, and was wondering what are some easy and effective way to tye caddis nymphs/pupa's.

Appropriate colour dubbing on a curved hook, ribbed by wire colour of your choice, optional turn or two of any soft feather you like (partridge, hen, starling). Use black thread for a nice black head.

JohnnyUtah wrote:
LaFontaine period

+1

If I were limited to tying one type of fly to imitate caddis, it would be the LaFountaine ESP. (For downunder, just add a splitshot.)

I came up with one this year I named Mr.Spikey because the dubbing was well...kinda spikey on the hook. I use 12-16 hooks (straight shank) in gray, green, or white dubbing 3/4 up the hook and brown dubbing to finish. Man is it deadly. Mike Heck has a great one in his spring creek book too on a curved hook. I have always thought pound for pound that one is one of the best ever. Look it up.

I use a curved scud type hook, olive dubbing, gold wire for ribbing, but then I tie the head w/ peacock herl. It works well for me.

ok that seems easy enough, what sizes do you tye it in, Sasquatch

Anywhere from 12 down to 18. I don't know if its TECHNICALLY a caddis; I tried it once 'cause I ran out of black beads in a certain size. It ended up working really well so I just started doing it to all my olive nymphs.

wait you do what? and idc if a fly is a easy tie and it catches fish im good haha.

Tying them w/ peacock herl heads instead of black beads. I tie all of them w/ peacock herl instead of beeds now 'cause it seems to work better.

green dubbing with wire ribbing on bottom 2/3, brown dubbing on top, with a turn or 2 of partridge. Put some lead on it too.

ok i will try that also, thanks

Back