brookie flies

T

thesmayway

what are your go to native brookie flies? I've done well with pink/white spinners so i tried pink. i am just starting to tie and put this bugger together tonight...thoughts?

IMG_20140413_210521_898_zpsb57aadc1.jpg

Dry flies, the bushier the better.

For small stream wild brookies or browns I prefer to fish gaudy dries like royal Wolff, ausable wulff, patriot, humpy, etc. as for nymphs...I like a small pink San Juan.

Drk brown mink bead head. #14

Parachute Adams, Parachute Hares Ears, Stimulators

sipe wrote:
...I like a small pink San Juan.

This has been my go to this past fall and winter off a caddis as a dropper. They like pink. Little wild browns don't pass it up either!

I'm convinced you can catch any wild brookie that can be caught on a given day with nothing but a box of #14 stimulators.

Orange, yellow, gray, brown, black, olive...color is basically unimportant, just make sure you can see it at any distance and that it floats like a cork.

Royal Wulff.

This actually works well. :lol:

Attachments

• Fox  G.B.F..jpg
    Fox G.B.F..jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 2
Last spring csoult turned me on to Stimulators for brookies since then they have been my go to fly. Before that Royal Wuff, Adams, Mr Rapidan, small Pheasant Tails for dropper. Royal Coachmen streamers can bring out the bigger fish.

Royal Wulff

An easy tie is the often overlooked Bivisible. They do float well and catch fish.

okay thanks guys. Maybe what I should have asked was do you think that the fly I posted willl catch trout? I never see any pink wooly buggers anywhere. with the high colder water right now I did not see a single brook trout Rising to dries. I thought maybe a gawdy streamer would work.

Brookies are opportunistic feeders. They have to be, as their typical environment does not offer an abundance of food. Present it well and they will most often take it. Hope that answers your question.

I just tie various colored wulffs. Also, a royal coachman marabou streamer will take the big boys.

Don't wait for risers. Blind cast those big hairy dries and they will hit it.

As far a nymphs go I often use a two toned pattern with flashy wire for ribbing. I also never use materials that fray easily, because teeth and trees tear up intricate flies quickly deep in the mountains.

Also, I tie all my brookie nymphs of 2X fine dry fly hooks. When I fished with normal wet fly hooks I missed a lot of fish because of poor hook penetration. The skinnier dry fly hooks increased my landing percentage and also harm the fish less.

small red&white or orange&white streamers have produced some nice brookies for me, so I don't see why pink wouldn't work. As was mentioned, they are opportunistic, but at times can be picky about what specific vein of current you drift the fly through. more so with small nymphs than dries and streamers.

A black beadhead wollybugger on a size 10 nymph hook has worked great site far this year. I've tried white and pink lately with not as much luck.

Back