antron

N

notan641

I don't tie many patterns, thus not a big variety of material. I have a spool of pink antron that I have never used. While getting frustrated spinning some ice dub, I spied the antron and pulled it apart and tried to spin some of that for thorax of a frenchie. It went on great and stayed neat and tight. I like it. What do others use antron for?

Antron and Ice dub are interchangeable and can be used anytime you want a bit of flash in your dubbing..

NJTroutbum wrote:
Antron and Ice dub are interchangeable and can be used anytime you want a bit of flash in your dubbing..

I disagree to an extent. Substituting antron for ice dub will work on some patterns, not doubt, but they are not the same. Ice dub has way more flash and often a holographic effect depending on color, while antron has a more subtle, translucent glow. It should not be misunderstood that the two are directly interchangable. Substitution of one over the other can produce a very different fly. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just the facts.

Most often I use antron for wings or trailing shucks but there are many uses.

troutpoop wrote:
Most often I use antron for wings or trailing shucks but there are many uses.

Agreed there are many uses. But for wings and trailing shucks I prefer zelon.

GenCon

Wasnt comparing which one was better. I was just answering what the uses of antron are. It adds flash, just like ice dub and can be used in the same manner. Just used it as a comparison.

I agree though, the properties of the two are not the same.

I could be mistaken but I thought Zelon has been treated with a floatant?
I use zelon for caddis wings and trailing shucks on dry flies like sparkle duns. For nymphs I most often use antron because it sinks. Again, its used as tails, trailing shucks and wings but for underwater presentations.

Antron is not only found in yarn form for shucks and wings. It is the flash added to many different dubbings also. It blends very well also as a straight up dubbing on its own.

I've found that anglers care more about Antron vs Zelon vs (insert any new miracle fiber) than the fish do. The biggest Yellowstone Cutthroat of my life was caught on a #20 BWO emerger tied for me in 1986 by Ken Facemyer with a piece of green yarn from an old carpet. This was way before trailing shucks of nylon based fibers were in vogue. The Cutts at Buffalo Ford were very selective as they are pressured nonstop. That experience (and reading Marinaro) helped to solidify my "presentation trumps fly appearance" school of thought. LaFontaines sparkle pupa when tied correctly calls for sparse Antron application. Just my $0.02

Back