What are you best at?

GenCon

GenCon

I see lots of pictures of flies on this site. Many of you folks are outstanding tyers. Some are just learning. But what are you best at tying?
Drys, nynphs, wets, streamers. I think I am an average tyer. But what I think I am best at is tying dry flys. My nymphs are just ok.
But being on Paflyfish has inspired me to get better to improve my tying skills. So what are you best at?

GC

best at nymphs, need to get better at dries

I'm best at baitfish imitations, but I can do most things pretty well.

Where I need improvement: Married wings and spun deer hair.

Nymphs :-D

Zebra midges... or green weenies.

Serious answer - I'd say I'm most confident tying dry flies.

bullsh!tting with a hint of sarcasm :)

losing just tied flies to trees. damn i'm good at that!

Streamers, and most nymphs.

I'm not that good at dries but that's probably because I tie very few(usually buy..), and as silly as it sounds egg patterns.

Nymphs and compara or sparkle duns. My hackled dries are could use more consistency, but with the exception of parachute adams, I don't tie a lot of them.

Jack of all trades.
Master of none.

Parachute dries. GenCon, based on seeing some of your pictures on here, I would definitely say you're a above average tyer at the least.

probably bigger salt pattern one of my favorite that is probably the hardest to tie is a hollow fly. it takes a few thing to get it right. first is to have a really nice bucktail second is using the right amount of glue one each hollow wrap. im good at nymphs and I think I am ok at dries but probably suck in reality. I hate hackling.

Brownie, thank you for the nice comment. But I will always be learning. marcq don't want to derail the thread. But I have no idea what a hollow fly is.

GC

Gc, we all are always learning. And you definitely put up some sweet ties.

1st streamers, nymphs are a close 2nd. I don't tie regular presentation dries, so no clue how well I can tie them, I tie/fish a comparadun 99% of the time and it's a fairly easy pattern to begin with.

Is it just me or do you guys see a connection between what you're best at tying and what you prefer to fish? Call me crazy but I'd rather have high, chocolate water and rip streamers all day than fish a hatch. If the flows are normal, I'm normally nymphing most of the time. Maybe it's just me.

I'm not great at any tie, but I would say that I am better at tying nymphs than dries. Oddly enough, I cant catch a fish on a nymph but can hammer them on a good hatch.

I feel im sufficient at nymphs. Alot of the flies i tie, i think look really cool but in reality are not proportional, hackle faces wrong way, tails are way too long etc. But i still love tying...

giving advise !
I tie all kinds and styles of flies for over 40 years+. I have no best, I can do all..

I agree Sandy is the best BS around !!!!!!!
He can tie a mean fly too !!!

My mentor LouM taught me to tie woven flies ,so I would have to say woven flies are my best ,when I tie !!!!!!

Back