Warm Water Hooks (and patterns?)

guppieguy

guppieguy

Debated on whether or not this belonged here or in the WW section...figured I'd try here first.

I don't post a lot, I mainly just lurk and try to learn as much as I can from all of the brilliant minds here. However, I've been interested in tying more WW patterns this year, mainly streamers for pike or other toothies and LMB in streams, ponds, and rivers. I have been tying for just overt a year, and I'm starting to tire of tying tiny trout flies. I've slowly been amassing an online cart with different materials that I will need and plan to make one giant mega-purchase at some point this winter/spring, but one important item that i'm not entirely sure of is hooks. I was looking at Gamakatsu hooks, since I use those when I spin fish, but I'm not exactly sure what models I need. What has worked for you guys? what do you use for large streamers? I was thinking of getting size 1/0 and 2 but I'm not sure if I need to invest in longer shanked hook or heavier hooks or both. I'm just a little out of my element here. I'd like to tie some large streamers, and maybe even some articulated streamers as well.

Also (and i know this is an extremely broad question), is there any patterns you suggest for pike/bass that wouldn't be above my skill level? I mean I'm always looking for a challenge, but I'd like to start relatively easy. Something with a big profile that moves water, but won't take me 3 weeks to tie. Really looking forward to tying some meat this year!

Take a look at Allen hooks. They have great selection and awesome hooks. I've been tying Waarm Water flies for about 30 years and 90% of my Warm Water patterns are tied on size 4 thru 1/0 with some in size 6 and 2/0 range. Warm Water flies are fun to tie and only limited by your imagination.

I don't have much experience with warm water fishing with spinning gear, but when I tie bass flies (I mostly fish for smallmouth when in fishing warm water) I just use the bass or salt water hooks that Allen sells. They have a short shank and longer shank hooks, hooks meant for poppers/bass bugs that are slightly lighter wire, and regular streamer hooks up to size 2 or so. They're also a lot cheaper than most of the premium hooks you can buy at the sporting goods stores.

I mostly use the Mustad 3366 for the majority of my warm-water flies, the Mustad 34007 for saltwater flies, and an assorted variety of big-game/saltwater hooks for my pike/muskie flies. It's also nice to have some 60- or- 90-degree jig hooks too.

since I am just getting into to tying larger streamers, do you think i could suit most of my needs with say a size 2 and 1/0 hook? is that enough difference/variety?

I've purchased hooks from allen before, not sure why i didn't think to check there...after looking though it seems that the more popular sizes are currently unavailable. How often do they re-stock?

I think size 4 thru 1/0 in 3xl and 4xl will cover your needs nicely. Give Justin at Allen a call he is great to deal with and will be sure to hook you up. No pun intended.

Back