Tying wings on catskill dries

K

Keith

No matter how many videos I watch I just can't seem to tie the wood duck wings on so they look decent. By far out of everything I have tied this is the most frustrating part I have come across. Almost to the point it makes me hate tying. I think I am just gonna tie sparkle duns and comparaduns and just buy my Catskills if I don't soon figure it out.

No sure why you would have such a hard time with them. Just tie in a clump the length of the hook shank. Bind down. Then wrap thread in front to lift them up to about 90 degrees from hook.
Divide the fibers in half with a bodkin. Hold the 2 sections apart with one hand. And wrap 2 figure eights with the other hand to keep them separated.
One thing that takes a little trial and error to figure out, would be how much wood duck is needed for the size of the fly you're tying.

If march browns are what you're tying, you can also use mallard flank dyed brown for the wing. It looks just as nice IMO - and maybe easier to work with.
Good luck

Don't feel bad, I gave up a long time ago. I just make one big wing.

Not worried about making showroom flies, and I'm sure the fish don't mind from underneath. White wings are just a marker for the fisherman anyway.

As dryflyguy has said. Measure length, divide. One thing I do is then take 1 wrap around base of left wing. Then one wrap around hook. Pull straight down. This should tighten base of wing. Then repeat on wing closest to you. One wrap around base of wing, then one wrap around hook. Hold both wings. Pull straight down on thread. That pulls bases of wings together. Wrap 2 or 3 wraps around hook. That will lock them in. It's easy once you do a couple. Maybe practice with some mallard as dryflyguy mentioned. Wood duck is expensive.

GenCon

Thanks for the input. Went to a tying class tonight and got a lil help. It's getting better. Synthetic seems so much easier than wood duck and mallard wings.

I think this is one of those areas where it's deceptively difficult, because, for an experienced tyer, the skills are there, so it's nothing magical. You just put together the simple steps, get it done, and move on.

When you're learning, though, it's not so much that you don't know what you're doing, as it is that it's an operation that, relative to what you've done so far, requires a new level of thread control and a light touch, and the material doesn't exactly help to make anything easier for you.

As you've discovered, synthetics can help you develop skills with a material that's more cooperative. Also work on upright, divided wings made of hair (ungulate or calf body/tail) as well as hen hackle tips. Both of these are natural materials that are a bit easier to work with (for different reasons: hair is typically stiffer so it's more tolerant of extra thread tension, and the hackle tips are more cooperative since you're primarily only concerned with the stem).

Ultimately, though, this is a thread control issue much more than a tying skills issue or a material issue. The good news of that is that you know all the skills you need to do it. The bad news is that until you develop the lighter touch necessary, they're going to be a pain in the rear.

In the mean time, don't be too proud to cheat with a drop of zap-a-gap here and there!

I mistakenly posted a video under Red Quill, post 20, in the Tying section that was supposed to go in this thread. Good video on the wing procedure.

Cold thank you for the input. I tie like a wade the stream. Like a bull in a china shop. I'm 6'6" 340 and and crank my bobbin around like its a strongman contest. You are the first to tell me that I need less pressure tying in the wings. I haven't come across anything so delicate to work with yet. I get the figure 8s and all that but it just wasn't working. I will mess with it later this evening and see how I make out. I might just concentrate on using mallard and just practice the wings since I am basically wasting woo duck. I appreciate the input. Keith DGC I will give that video a look. Thank you

FWIW -
The first dry fly that I made in my tying class - many years ago now - was a light cahill. And it called for a wing of undyed mallard flank.
I thought then - and still do now - that it was pretty easy to tie.
With some practice, I think it will be no time before you are getting nice looking wings

Lighter touch , I think, is key . Also , after wrapping with one or two light wraps, work the wings into the shape and position that you want them with your fingers and carefully lock them in with thread pressure. Catskills are a delicate and effective old school style worth having in your box

try snipping out the tip of the feather as shown below.

then gather all of the fibers between your fingers and tie the feather in.

lift and separate the fibers on each side with figure 8 wraps. presto you now have a wing

note: a drop of uv resin at the base of each bundle may help

HexNymph07B.jpg

Ditto on what Norm said. :)

Back