Trout killer

whheff

whheff

Does anybody have a pattern called the "trout killer" that they could post a picture and the material list? I would like to tie some of them.
My friend was at the LL yesterday and a guy there was catching trout like crazy on this fly pattern. He said it had some sort of gold body.
Thanks,
Bill

Is this a streamers pattern? I am thinking it is George Maciag's creation. If this is the pattern, possibly go to L.L. Bean and speak to him. I do not know how to tye it. I did have good luck with it when I had one lol

SBecker wrote:
Is this a streamers pattern? I am thinking it is George Maciag's creation. If this is the pattern, possibly go to L.L. Bean and speak to him. I do not know how to tye it. I did have good luck with it when I had one lol

I think it is. I am going on hear say from a friend of mine who was at the LL yesterday and said this guy caught 16 fish with that fly.
I'll have to go to Bean and look him up.
Thanks Becker

I have one of George's killers in my box. If I get time I'll post a pic for you.

Hi Bill - Yup, the trout killer is George Maciag's tie.

You can google it up, and see it on his website.

Here's the recipe:

Streamer hook & bead of choice.

Underbody: squirrel tail overwrapped with red thread. I usually use lead wire for the front half, and add in the squirrel on the back half of the hook shank, keeping it tapered. Cover the lead and squirrel to the end of the hook shank with thread. Clip the squirrel tail square, about a half hook gap length past the bend. Cover thread with head cement, or super glue, and let dry.

Body: mallard, or wood duck, tied to wrap around underbody. Keep the feather about a half hook gap past the squirrel tail underbody.

Add some krystal flash and/or flashabou to each side if desired.

Build up a wide collar of thread behind the bead, and cement. When dry, paint eyes w/pupils.

Attachments

• 600_Killer_-_Blue.jpg
    600_Killer_-_Blue.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 5
Had some PM's regarding how to tie the underbody on this pattern, so I tied one up. Kinda sloppy, but you'll get the idea...

This one is heavily weighted - don't think George weights them with lead wire, but I sometimes do.

Attachments

• killer underbody.jpg
    killer underbody.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for the picture and recipe Ed.
It is a really nice streamer. I will add that one to my box.

Is that one Mallard feather wrapped over the top and around each side, or one feather (2 total) tied on each side?

BountyHunter wrote:
Is that one Mallard feather wrapped over the top and around each side, or one feather (2 total) tied on each side?

One feather, each side (2 total). I've tied them with just one, but it is usually too sparse for my tastes.

I tied 4 of these up last night on #6 TMCs. They look great. I used grey and gold mallard flank. Tied 2 weighted and 2 unweighted. They came out great. I struggled a little with the wings out of the bag since most, if not all, were curved too much so I put them under the vice block for 5 mins or so to flatten them out a bit which seemed to help. I'm going to have to repaint the eyes. That was the only thing that I didn't love about my job. I'm a terrible eye painter...

mrchunk wrote:
I struggled a little with the wings out of the bag since most, if not all, were curved too much so I put them under the vice block for 5 mins or so to flatten them out a bit which seemed to help. I'm going to have to repaint the eyes. That was the only thing that I didn't love about my job. I'm a terrible eye painter...

I tied a few today and like you, the wings were a little hard to handle. I have 3 bags of mallard flank so I was able to match themy up pretty well.
For the eyes, I usePolymark fabric paint. I coat the head with head cement then after it dries I put a dab of the fabric paint on and guide it with a tooth pick. After that dries, I just use a black marker.
They didn't come out to bad for a first time attempt. :)

Look like a modified joe's smelt, I have used these for years..

Attachments

• 2-25-2011 048.jpg
    2-25-2011 048.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 2
They remind me of a Hornberg. I've had a lot of luck with Hornbergs in the summer. Last year I tied a few of these weighted ones (on the left) but haven't fished them enough to say they work. Small Clouser head with glue on eyes. Yellow/white marabou, and a little flash. No fish caught.

On the regular ones, the head is Guinea fowl eyes and Pheasant back. No jungle cock but I think they pass.

Attachments

• hornberg.jpg
    hornberg.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 3
No Jungle Cock sounds like a good thing to me...

Had it wrong the first time. No Clouser just pasted on the thread wrap. More than a few wraps of lead. That's what happens when you include a little alcohol to your tying material.

Hmmm...Now what did I do?

Just found this
http://www.fliesbygeorge.com/fliesforfishing.html

wonder who made that website?

6838555712_5aeb61338c_b.jpg

four pieces of mallard. top. bottom. left. right. three strands of flash on the left and the right side.

i'll forward the thread to him, perhaps he'll be motivated to weigh in on it himself.

A buddy of mine always has a beadhead Hornberg on. That fly looks like its in the same family and should do well.

I ran in to George at the LL on Saturday. I've been meaning to get an interview up with him for the last year or so on my blog. I mentioned this thread to him and he wound up sending me step by step pics for tying his killer pattern. I'll try to post them up tonight when I get home. (gonna take a while, it's like 40 pics)

Back