Top Streamers

T

tracker12

So we regularly see the top dry flys and nymphs. But how about streamers. If you were to have 3 streamers in your box. What would they be?

tracker12 wrote:
So we regularly see the top dry flys and nymphs. But how about streamers. If you were to have 3 streamers in your box. What would they be?

Wooly Bugger (olive/black)
Clouser Minnow (chart / white)
Sculpin or Slumpbuster (tie)

I don't do a lot of streamer fishing, here are some that I carry!

Black& olive bugger w/ krystal flash, white bugger w/ krystal flash and sculpins

PaulG

Shenk’s white minnow

Olive marabou gold cone head muddler minnow

Brown bronze chain eyes woolly bugger

tracker12 wrote:

1) Clouser minnow.
2) More clouser minnows.
3) Whatever featherwing I saw last week I thought was really sweet will be represented several times over but never actually used because its not a clouser minnow so who cares?

Inevitably, there will come a time (ie, last Thursday through the weekend) where I really wish I had a wooly bugger* in the box, and I don't, but I do have an ample supply of clouser minnows.

I don't think you can go wrong with buggers and clousers, though. Olive and black for the former, green/white and brown/green for hte latter.

The Muddler minnow is supposed to be super useful, and used in a variety of ways. Its supposed to be good in murk and dark because the big head pushes water. You can supposedly grease it and fish it as a hopper up top. All I know is its too much work to tie and I don't make them.

Then again, I don't fish giant streamers, so the guys who are into the monster articulated jobs will laugh at the above.

* - It will have chain eyes.

muddler minnow- weighted and unweighted

light spruce fly 2 to 10 weighted

woolly bugger -olive,black or brown weighted

any stream or river trout any where in the world.
You could find better at specific time or place but these would catch fish if you do your part.

GOOD ONE!!! i gotta go with 1. Wooly Bugger 2. Clouser 3. Muddler the next in line 'cause it woks so well on the Steelhead would be the Spruce fly. I don't use the real big ones either and my clousers all have chain eyes rather than lead barbells. most of the streamers in my box are between size 8 and 14. After stocking occurs on the closest Special Regs section i can usually count on a size 10 wooly bugger olive and black with some flash in the tail to catch me a trout within a half dozen casts it's become somewhat of a ritual/celebration. Never let me down........yet.

Black Wooly Bugger
Black Slumpbuster
White Alewive pattern

1. Golden Retriever
2. Zoo Cougar
3. Woolly Bugger

1. Slumpbuster, Olive or Black in bigger sizes, and Brown in smaller sizes.

2. Wooly Bugger, usually just all Olive or all Black, on occasion White and Yellow.

3. Clouser, White and Chartuse, White and Blue, and Black.

Tough one..for our area

This one

My emerald shiner pattern

My secret fly :-0 no serious not posting info or pics

Attachments

• prs fly 2011 003.JPG
    prs fly 2011 003.JPG
    468.9 KB · Views: 3
Bugger (olive, black, or brown)

Sculpin

Baby Brook Trout

Buggers all I eve needed, although I have been tying slumpbusters to use this spring.

Buggers in Olive (flash in tail)
White Buggers, flash in tail w/ red thread colar and grizzley hackle are killer here and in Erie tribs!

Have any pics of that White Bugger? Sounds interesting.

This is a tough one:

For top three I would say:
Mickey Finn
Clouser minnow
Shenk's white minnow

My old time side likes the simple bucktails of my youth - black/white, black/yellow, Red/White etc and the Slaymaker's Little Brook, Brown, and Rainbow patterns.

Buggers sure have their day. White crystal bugger, little buggers with peacock herl body and brown hackle, and olive buggers are regulars.

Some days the fur strip ones are killer - Slumpbuster, rabbit strip Zonkers, etc. Nothing wiggles like a rabbit strip fly.

Finally, chucking 5" or so crazy streamers, like articulated Zoo Cougars, Circus Peanuts, Six Dungeons, etc can get follows from heart-stopping browns. Sometimes you will even hook up!

I dont know if this white booger pic loaded or not...I seem to be struggling with it...

Attachments

• booger.jpg
    booger.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 2
tung head bugger in brown
slumpbuster with zonker instead of squirrel
supervisor

Streamers for what kind of fishing ? But all you trout guys need to try the Foxe minnow that fly always produces .

Gray Ghost, Muddler, and clouser

Back