Tips on elk and deer hair?

1hook

Having some problems as a beginner working with elk and deer hairs. Working on elk hair caddis but having trouble tying in the elk hair without spinning it around the hook. I do a couple loose wraps and then try and tighten but can't seem to not make a mess of things. I always end up with hair on the under side of hook. Any tips would be helpfull...maybe I'm just applying to much thread tension?

You taking out the underfur? Do not know if that could be the problem, or possibly to much hair in general?

Pinch the hair as tight as possible. I keep the hair in my fingers after the hair is tied down and I've run the thread through the butts and placed it right behind the eye. Then I whip finish and trim the thread and butts. You may have up 3 (just estimating the typical) on either side but they should all stay on top. But if it's spinning, you aren't holding the hair long enough. IMO...I hope this or Becker's comment works for you!

First of all, make sure you are tying the hair in on top of thread. If you are trying to tie it on a bare hook shank it will spin. So after you have a thread base at your tie in point you need to really pinch and hold the hair in place. Couple wraps around it then tighten. Also, make sure you're not trying to tie in too much hair. If the hair clump is too large that may be causing it to spin too.

All good advice. One other thing worth trying is to be sure you pull straight up or as close to straight up as possible, when you tighten up your loose wraps. This seems to minimize the thread torque and help keep things on top of the hook.

Good ideas guys gonna go Try again...I think I may be using too much hair.

The technique in this video works great...

A trick worth trying is to make a loop around just the deer hair before lashing it to the shank. This will tend to keep the hair bundled together and on top of the hook.

bam wrote:
A trick worth trying is to make a loop around just the deer hair before lashing it to the shank. This will tend to keep the hair bundled together and on top of the hook.

+1 on this. Fixes your problem in a pinch.

Came to post the video HA posted. That's the only technique I use anymore.

Good quality hair is important. So is properly preparing the hair as shown in the vid.

Thanks for that video. I'm always looking for creative ways to use that wonder we know as CDC.

Cdc and elk has been my most effective dry fly pattern over the last two years. I tie it in various colors and sizes to match all but the tiniest Caddis and most mayflies.

Make a good base of thread, tie in a little at a time, make sure the underfur is out, make the loose loop on the top of the hook and wrap to the underside before pulling straight up to make it tight. There is a knack to it that you will get once you tie a hundred to a thousand.

Thanks guys all good tips. my ehc are coming out much better

Back