Substitute for Natural Pine Squirrel Fur

D

Dale49

Would appreciate some assistance. I’ve been reviewing some old pattern recipes that call for pine squirrel fur to be used as dubbing. These patterns look interesting. I know that pine squirrel skins are sold but I’d rather not purchase one as I have too much stuff as it is. Upon looking at a picture of a pine squirrel skin, it appears that a skin has multiple colors.

I have many different types of dubbings and colors. Has anyone on site used a dubbing as a substitute for pine squirrel and if so, what type of dubbing and color?

I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Try hares ear

Pine squirrel is unique, and I can't think of anything that would be an adequate substitute. It is short and spikey and has yellows and reds of various hues. I'm sure that anything with some guard hairs would get you by, but if you really want to recreate the pattern, a hide may be in your future. PM me your address and I'll send you a sample.
Mike.

Why not just pick up a pack of natural pine squirrel dubbing?

See the drop down menu on this Orvis page....

http://www.orvis.com/p/natural-blended-fur-dubbing/51gc

Thanks Guys. Might have to break down and buy some. Mike, really appreciate your offer but you don't need to send me a sample.

Dale

Back