Spinner Wings

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

What do you guys all use for spinner wings? I've used antron and sparkle yarn in the past but it doesn't hold it's shape very well after a bunch of times in fish or brushed with FF. I am now trying DNA and it looks good but I haven't yet tried it on the water. Interested in what all have to say. thanks.

For picky fish in flat water, I use spinners tied with wings made out of
web wing. It looks more realistic, and holds it's shape
However, it will twist lighter tippets.
But on 5x or larger, it's usually fine.

I used carded antron for some rusty spinners last year and I noticed the same thing. The wings seemed to lay back and cling to the body when wet. I'd also be curious to know what other people like for spinner wings.

Not owning many wing materials, ive started using standard dry fly hackle as a wing and clipping the underside flat. I tend to wrap mine a little thinker (an extra wrap or two), but thats just preference.

dscn10141.jpg

Not the best pic, but you can kinda see what i mean. But anyway, clipping it flat makes it ride low and i'll just use little bit of floatant w/ the hackle.

turkey wrote:
I used carded antron for some rusty spinners last year and I noticed the same thing. The wings seemed to lay back and cling to the body when wet. I'd also be curious to know what other people like for spinner wings.

If ya put a tiny drop of Zap-a-Gap at the base of the wings before you dub the thorax, the wing holds it's position much better...

If you take your beat up flies and put them in a metal strainer, hold them over a pot of boiling water, the wings pop right back into shape.

I prefer z-lon, snowshoe hare, or cdc for spinner wings. Antron treated with watershed, or parapost works OK too. Trimmed hackle works great, but it's a PITA to see the fly...

jay's method works well - I do the same thing.

generally, I use Niche Products Siliconized Polypropylene Yarn, but for more finicky fish, I'll use hen hackle tips or web wing burnt to shape, and, if I feel like throwing something different, spent hackle tip wings with clipped hackle, but I could probably get away with only the poly-wing spinners, but I feel the need to carry way too many flies....

I second the niche siliconized poly yarn. Its great for spinner wings. For picker fish i just throw a double or triple wing spinner. Wings with the niche. I also like to use zlon mixed, as well as snowshoe. Antron is best used for underwater applications as it does clump.

This double wing spinner got me some extra picky trout last week. Its tied with niche poly.
PB290041.jpg

Thanks everyone.

JU, Nice pic but I'm a bit confused. (Go figure) When you say double wing, are you referring to double the material or wings in two spots?

Does anyone use DNA and if so, do you like it, hate it or doesn't think it makes any difference?

Fox gap. Check out the triple wing spinner. When tying small just use two instead of three. You tie a set of wings, then a set in front. Dub a little in between.

I will no longer be posting on this forum due to the "regulars" I will continue on other forums and of course my site.

Here is a neat alternative to synthetics:
http://www.flyfisherman.com/2011/08/01/foot%E2%80%8Awing-spinners/

Snowshoe wings are my favorite natural material. Its also great for drowned flies. I like to mix snowshoe and some synthetic for wings as well. Thanks for the link.

I used to use poly yarn but recently found foam wings at fly tyers heaven.

This is a true story. Im sure we all have had a compound rises. The trout just drifts along inspecting your fly. I had a nice brown do this to me on a bwo fall. I through 5 different spinners with no avail. I wondered.... I walked out below the trout and watched film for the spinners. When i saw the spinners, the wings where invisible. I took my snow shoe body bwo and snipped the wings off completely. So now it was more of floating nymph. I cast, i drift, he comes right up and takes. The moral of the story, most of the time spinner wings are invisible. A lot of rejections come from the wrong wing imprints on the water. A lot of the time no wings are better. imo. I have been doing this with picky trout ever since and it works.

I have no doubt that story is true, JU. I think tyers use way too much material for the wings of spinners. I have had the most success with trimmed hackle wings very sparse - just enough hackle to keep the spinner floating in the film.

I tie three or four turns of hackle, tied in at the head of the fly and wound reverse. I tie it off and wind back to the head the same amount of turns and tie off at the head. I trim the hackle flush, under the fly and there are equal amounts of hackle for each wing.

Another method I use for hackle wings is tying a parachute fly using slightly over sized hackle. I gather the hackle on either side of the fly to form spinner wings and trim off the excess. I often use a highly visible color for the post, but trim it short for better visibility.

I usually start with a synthetic (I prefer white HiVis) for durability and ease of tying, but have recently started to use a lot more snowshoe.
HackleStacker is my "go to" pattern during a spinner fall for fussy fish.
The ParaSpinner (very similar to afish's parachute, but with the front of the hackle clipped) has also been a great pattern for wary browns, too, and is easier/faster to tie, which can be important when you get off of the water at 11pm and need to tie a dozen in your camper for the rest of your buddies who struck out!

I use antron, parapost, or organza and haven't had any problems with any of those materials. I use frogs fanny on the wings and it works great. Sometimes I tie in some pearl crystal flash (sparsely) to give some sparkle to the wings.

mcwillja wrote:
I use antron, parapost, or organza and haven't had any problems with any of those materials. I use frogs fanny on the wings and it works great. Sometimes I tie in some pearl crystal flash (sparsely) to give some sparkle to the wings.

I do the exact same thing, but use Tiemco Dry Magic on the wings.

Late last season I picked up some Tiemco Dry Magic and it was pretty good. I applied the Magic first and then coated with Frog's Butt. That seemed to be a really good combo. Coz from BWO recommended that to me.

you have to keep the dna rather sparse otherwise it will clump together but they do make nice wings

It depends on what I'm tying. I do use hackle tips for some patterns, hair for some and antron for some.

Back