Soft Hackle Question

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

I tie and fish a lot of soft hackles - partridge & yellow, partridge & green, partridge & yellow, gold ribbed hares hears, etc. I thought recently that an iridescent glass bead behind the soft hackle (where you tie a small thorax normally) might serve as the "bubble" that is represented in an emerger pattern. Have any of you tied one like that? I might tie up a few and see how they fish this weekend on the Gunpowder. Thoughts, comments, opinions?

Hareline Ice Dub, no extra weight.

you will never know if they work if you never try one

the weight of a glass bead would be virtually insignificant

examples

https://www.google.com/search?q=soft+hackle+with+glass+bead&rlz=1G1TSNACENUS400&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=hiOnUbz6Go3zrQfb_YDQCw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1250&bih=613

Couldn't hurt to try it one things for sure you'll never know if you don't. When ideas "pop" into your head I think it's a good idea to follow through with those thoughts and see what happens. When you try it "if" it doesn't work keep a hold of it and try it at different times through the season before dumping it for a bad idea.

nfrechet wrote:
you will never know if they work if you never try one

the weight of a glass bead would be virtually insignificant

examples

https://www.google.com/search?q=soft+hackle+with+glass+bead&rlz=1G1TSNACENUS400&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=hiOnUbz6Go3zrQfb_YDQCw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1250&bih=613

Thanks for the link - I didn't even get as far as googling it yet. Judging from that blog, it works.

gfen, I have ice dub, and I'll give that a shot too.

BelAirSteve wrote:
....an iridescent glass bead behind the soft hackle (where you tie a small thorax normally) might serve as the "bubble" that is represented in an emerger pattern. Thoughts, comments, opinions?

It's a good idea and, as others have mentioned, experimenting with fly design is good stuff.

With that said, don't use a bead too large. The further back on the shank the bead is placed, the more it tends to close off the bite of the hook and reduce hooking effectiveness. Personally, if it were me, I'd tie the bead to the top of the shank with a tight mono loop rather than actually putting the bead on the shank. This will allow you to use a smaller bead and keep it out of the hook bite. I have been attaching small beads meant to represent egg sacs on my scuds this way for years and it has worked well for me.

Gfen uses ice dub ???
that's new school !!

Just because I own it does not mean I use it; however the pearl is some pretty fancy stuff.

I also own a bag of the "peacock," and fwiw, I'd rahter just use real peacock.

Ice Dub Peacock > Natural Peacock (sometimes)

I have used ice dub before - I tie pheasant tail flashbacks with it. My observation is that what ice dub calls peacock is way too light - what they call "black peacock" is closer to natural. Good stuff either way.

Wow! Gfen using plastic dubbing. Soon plastic rods and plastic reels with plastic line. Sold out...big time.

Easy now... don't rush him.

afishinado wrote:
Wow! Gfen using plastic dubbing. Soon plastic rods and plastic reels with plastic line. Sold out...big time.

If you will provide me with a 8.5' 5wt superfine for 80% off list, I will gladly attempt to add one more of those to my list.

Believe it or not, but I swear by poly yarn, too.

bead thorax SH's are tried and true.

not my cup of tea,but some people swear by them!

:-o

Attachments

• Gfen Gfenning.jpg
    Gfen Gfenning.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 4
Obviously flossed.

Attachments

• flossin.jpg
    flossin.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 3

See, I'm not a woman at all.

jA8h71j.jpg

The ice dubbing doesn't require a big ball of fluff to keep it in place, doesn't look quite so globby, and will catch light from any and all sides.

Glass beads, another example of just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I have been hammering fish this year on a white/red soft hackle w/ a red or clear glass bead. The other version is a all black soft hackle with gold ribbing and a smokey glass bead.They work great!

gfen wrote:
jA8h71j.jpg

Glass beads, another example of just because you can doesn't mean you should.

That logic would prevent people from doing lots of things that might catch fish...same could be said of ice dub for that matter.

Back