Slate Drake

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

Hi guys. I want to be prepared to fish this hatch this year. I purchased a couple of flies in June because I was on Penn's Creek but didn't have any and they were supposedly going to hatch but I was too early, I guess. Anyway, I need to buy some dubbing and the color on the flies I have is close to burgundy. Can you guys, tell me your favorite patterns for dry and nymph. And where you buy your dry dubbing? Many thanks ahead of time.

I don't have any pics of my dries handy, but it is a simple parachute with light dun para post chute.

Here are my nymphs: quick and long versions.

The first one being ostrich for the body; trimmed on top and bottom.
The second being individual secions tied in with a mix of brown and black dubbing.

Attachments

• DSC01404 - Copy.JPG
    DSC01404 - Copy.JPG
    448.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC01407 - Copy.JPG
    DSC01407 - Copy.JPG
    558.6 KB · Views: 6
Hard to explain, but my SD nymph looks a lot like mkern's. It's delaware tested and approved, so I'm happy with it.

Tail: Tips of a brown barred marabou feather.
(Tie the tips in, then lash the stem of the feather to the hook all the way to the eye.
Body: Peacock herl or ice dub
(Pull a clump of the marabou out each side of the nymph every few turns. This will be the gills)
Wing case: Black turkey
Thorax: Same as body
Legs: Pull two clumps of marabou out of the thorax, just as you did for the gills
White line: Moose mane
Rib: Black wire

Trim the marabou gills and legs, tapering toward the body toward the rear of the fly.

Delaware river club dry fly dubbing. Schnit is awesome.

Do you mean the caucci nastasi spectrumized dubbing?

Yeah, it's decent, but I'm not sold on the coloration.

It's all yellow. When it gets wet, it changes, but there's no real way to know what the fly's gonna look like until you get it soaked. Another problem is that I like to treat my flies so that they *don't* get soaked.

But it dubs very nicely. The jury's still out.

Some colors work better then others. The Light hendrickson color works great for march browns and other stenos. I normal blend my own ISO mix though because I prefer to use synthetic dubbing for dries.

Back