Sculpin Pattern???

drews

drews

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has a sculpin pattern using the new sculpin helmets? I saw a couple on the net that looked promising, just thought I would check here before I started tying... thanks in advance!

I fish quite a bit with sculpins and regard the helmets as a gimmick. With that said, I'll admit I haven't tried tying with them and, like many materials, if you experiment you can probably come up with a functional fly.

Well thanks!?!? I guess my point is that Im wondering if someone has something that has been tested that they would like to share. Gimmick or not Im going to try them and was just looking for anyone who has.

I use them and really like the profile it gives the fly. You can get the same effect with dumbell eyes and wool though.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIJlUlXykgo
Try this with a bead head or dumbell head. Gg

I've tied some sculpins with the helmets. I don't think it is wholly fair to characterize them strictly as a gimmick. For one thing, they are weighted so that the hook will ride with the eyes up, which you can't accomplish with most coneheads. Since they are easier to work with for spun deer hair heads as compared to barbell eyes, I can see an advantage here for certain patterns.

The helmets work great for something like a shenk sculpin, but you do have to be careful to leave enough space to push the helmet on after the fly is finished. The eyes are a pain in the *** to handle and attach to the helmets. I can't imagine the eyes matter to the fish, but people do like them.

I haven't fished extensively with the flies I've tied using these, but you can tie some nice looking imitations. I expect to use them more in the next 2-3 months, since I tend to fish streamers very near the bottom during the winter but not so much during other times of the year.

I doubt the results are any more or less effective where catching fish is concerned, but I can see why some tiers would like them.

It's cheating. The only non fur or feather other than the hook on a fly should be the ribbing. Then again, there's more ways to tie flies and fish them than ways to skin a cat. I personally prefer the art of clipping the head into shape.

No lead underbody? No bead head?

Sorry, I take back a little of that. Mr. Miller mentioned lead. No bead though.

I have tied some sculpins using the helmets. They are nice because the fly is heavy and sits on the bottom with the hook facing up so snags are kept to a minimum. With that being said these flies with the helmets make a splash like a baseball hitting the water unless you just flip the fly out to a fishes feeding lies. If your looking for a somewhat deliciate presentation this is not the fly.

I cannot really share a pattern but I would try experimenting with some maroubou feathers and sculpin wool. You can tie up some pretty simple patterns that will work.

You'll have to check out the sculpin pattern that was tying at the Jam yesterday!! Very cool if you dont mind spinning a bunch of deer hair!! Look for the pics to be posted.

Nickyboy,I agree on the splash, I was fishing Big Spring a while back with Squaretail and when I cast one in he looked at me like I had thrown a grenade in:)

I just tied some last week like a Slump Buster.

I used a rabbit strip for the overbody and the head wraps and chenille for the underbody. The chenille was just basically to build up some bulk on the body. The hook should be poked through the rabbit strip since it is tied upside down. I added two small grizzly marabou (chickabou) feathers for the pectoral fins and then put a generous amount of head cement on the front wraps before adding the helmet. I think they look pretty good.

I may try a deer hair collar and spun deer hair head as well.

Thanks guys... I tied one up last night (try post pic later) with olive barred black overbody... wrapped crosscut olive rabbit body... barred rabbit strips with added barred olive marabou for pec fins... small amount of red senyo for gill on bottom and a head... trying out after work today...

CLS sounds similar to yours...

Back