Scuds - weighted or unweighted?

D

dubthethorax

Thoughts?

I seem to use cress/sow bugs more then I use scuds. Not sure why, but they seem more productive for me. I weight both with a couple wraps of lead, but that's it.

I fish a lot of scuds and cress bugs but use them almost entirely in shallow limestoners with gentle current and lots of weeds. As such, I don't like a heavy fly as it just gets junked up in the weeds. I'll use a small spit shot fairly often but, if sight fishing, prefer to have no weight.
Nothing hard and fast but this how I usually play this game.

I tie scuds without any weight added to the hook. A curved scud hook flips the fly upside down (hook point up) when weight is added - not a good thing, IMO. When I need to, I add some weight to the tippet, usually tung putty, to get my fly down.

I usually add some weight to my cress bug patterns. I use a regular nymph hook and tie in a length of wire on each side of the hook shank to give the fly that flattened, oval shape of a cress bug.

both, depends on the streams level....

afishinado wrote:
I tie scuds without any weight added to the hook. A curved scud hook flips the fly upside down (hook point up) when weight is added - not a good thing, IMO.

Afish - I'm curious why you feel an upside down hook a bad thing. Can you elaborate?

I tie some of my nymphs this way purposefully - snags less and keeps the hook from dulling so quickly by hitting rocks.

Scuds get tossed and turned like anything else in the current - what do i care if they drift upside down or not...am i missing something?

I have gone both ways but have lately moved away from weighting my cressbugs. I spent some time watching them tumble down the stream on Spring Creek one afternoon as I scrapped them off of rocks. I think unweighted will be more natural.

keeps the hook from dulling so quickly by hitting rocks.

I'm impressed, never had one on long enough to dull the hook!!

JH

As much weight as I can without altering the look of the fly.

So like 8-10 wraps of .15 wire.

I tie them without weight and use shot on my tippet. I feel it might drift more natural and help from getting it so junked up with vegetation.

trowpa wrote:
afishinado wrote:
I tie scuds without any weight added to the hook. A curved scud hook flips the fly upside down (hook point up) when weight is added - not a good thing, IMO.

Afish - I'm curious why you feel an upside down hook a bad thing. Can you elaborate?

I tie some of my nymphs this way purposefully - snags less and keeps the hook from dulling so quickly by hitting rocks.

Scuds get tossed and turned like anything else in the current - what do i care if they drift upside down or not...am i missing something?

I tie many of my nymphs with a weighted scud hook to ride hook point up - it works great and I catch a lot of fish with them.

The question was about scuds. They are good swimmers and I've often seen them ride in the current in a upright C position. Also, as FishIdiot wrote in an earlier post, weedy spring creeks, where they are found, often make unweighted flies are better choice. If I need to sink them a bit, I add a tiny bit of tung putty to the tippet. It works well for me.

I fished with FishIdiot a few weeks ago and caught this one (below) on a an unweighted scud. I spotted the fish and he had his nose in the cress. I was able to cast right into it with the unweighted fly and it drifted right past his nose when took it. A weighted fly would have snagged in the weeds.

Attachments

• Bow4.jpg
    Bow4.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 4
I tie both weighted and unweighted. Depends what the situation calls for. Just like any other nymph it depends on the water conditions you are fishing in. You could also fish a tandem with an anchor scud that is weighted and an unweighted dropper.

I fish both cress bugs and scuds with a single small shot. i believe the presentaion is more natural. Mostly, I fish the cress bug as the lead fly with the scud trailing.

Back