Rooke Minnow Recipe anyone?

littlelehigh

littlelehigh

Anyone have one or at least a picture of one? Thanks in advance Google turned up nothing for me.

It is evidently "Rooke's Minnow", meaning it was Rooke's idea or perhaps at one time, he had the only one that existed.

The only reference I can find to it is in a Charlie Meck thing on tandem flies. This may mean it is red, white and sky blue and only effective in productive riffles. No pattern is given, but the text refers to it as a "wooly bugger variation"

Here's the link:

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/books/meck_tandem_flies_2.aspx

I found it in one of Charlie Meck's books. It is pretty easy to tie. The recipe is as follows:

Size 12 streamer hook
brown or tan thread
Copper bead
non lead wire
1/8" strip of chamois
Badger hackle
pearl flashabou

He offers no instructions, but I had no trouble tying up some. They look silly, but are killer flies. I fish them like a wooly bugger. Cast, count to 5, strip, count to 5, strip.

Pretty cool , ol Rooke might have something there , i'm gonna have to try it for sure , i wonder if shamwow would work instead of chamois?

Whoa!! Don't use a Sham-wow, you gotta leave some water for the fish!! You know that it's made in Germany, and the make the best stuff!!! :-D :-D

JH

JH..........that's funny , shamwow would suck the pool dry. On the serious side , i think the German scissors are the bomb , if i could find American made ones that were as good i would most surely buy American but for me nothing compares.

osprey wrote:
JH..........that's funny , shamwow would suck the pool dry. On the serious side , i think the German scissors are the bomb , if i could find American made ones that were as good i would most surely buy American but for me nothing compares.
That would be a killer fly. All you'd have to do is walk out and pick the fish up from the dry stream bed. That may even entice bait fisherman to switch over to fly fishing :-o :-o

flyfishermanj wrote:
Whoa!! Don't use a Sham-wow, you gotta leave some water for the fish!! You know that it's made in Germany, and the make the best stuff!!! :-D :-D

JH

Before he got busted for beating a hooker up, he was actually using all of his money to fight the cult of scientology. Buy them up!

jayL wrote:
flyfishermanj wrote:

JH

Before he got busted for beating a hooker up, he was actually using all of his money to fight the cult of scientology. Buy them up!

How does it not surprise me Jay that you have some off the wall fact about the guy who invented the Sham WOW!

Go for it, Down with Tom Cruise!!!

Ever see the South Park scientology episode? Hilarous!

I love that it says *this is what scientologists ACTUALLY believe* at the bottom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7EEOMbBIO8

ryguyfi wrote:
How does it not surprise me Jay that you have some off the wall fact about the guy who invented the Sham WOW!

I'm wondering how I know that one myself....

Edit: A blog I read now and then had it.

http://skepchick.org/blog/?p=5490

they also covered the smoking crack and beating or getting beat up by a hooker for not paying her must not have sold that many sham-wows although i hear it is a very good product

Back