Region specific streamers...

I

Imgonnamissher

Up here in Maine, the Carrie Stevens streamers are tops, along with the Black Ghost, Barnes Special, Nine Three, etc. However, it looks more and more like the move to South Central PA is happening this summer, and I am curious what types of streamers are most popular throughout the state. I figure the warm water patterns are pretty similar (got plenty of Clousers and bugger variations tied up), but I'm not up on the best trout patterns there.
Also, and this may not be the right forum, but I figure I might as well ask, where will the bass be (spawning? pre-spawn?) in late April. My wife and I are coming down to do some scouting (she's looking at homes, I'm looking the at water in the Harrisburg-Lancaster-York triangle) for Spring Break and my students will not let me hear the end of it if I don't bring back some nice pictures of all the fish I have been telling them I hope to catch. Up here most ponds around Bangor are still covered in ice, so the cabin fever is pretty bad even though opening day was Wednesday.

We have dace, shiners and sculpins for the most part. So Muddlers, Shenks minnows, and black nosed dace streamers. Mickey fins work well on early season and late season trout. (Spring and fall). Many guys rave about the Clouser foxy minnow. I never uused one though.

Before you leave for SCPA, let us know and we may be able to help out with that picture thingy.

I am 30 minutes south of Harrisburg and a little east of York in Dallastown. There is so much trout water in a 1 hour radious of your triangle its silly. Its tough to decide sometimes where to fish.

Warm water is also pretty good with plenty of public lakes and some good river access for smallies and catfish.

I rely heavily on the Shenk's White Minnow in 8, 10 and my favorite sz 12 tied unweighted and fished with split shot about 3" above the fly. I learned this from Mr. Shenk at a seminar about 10 years ago and never forgot it. It works like magic for me.

I also do very well with Clouser's Foxee Minnow in size 10 and 12. I use bead chain for eyes instead of lead eyes. Don't really know when I made the switch but it works.

Another local favorite is the Golden Retriever.

Never had any luck with the Black Nose Dace - I guess I just don't have confidence in it.

Truthfully, I almost always get something on the Shenk's.

Keep me in mind when you're in town, I'd like to meet you and maybe show you around a bit.

Back