Please take a look at the first couple flies I tied.

• Thread starter blackandgold4ever05
  • Start date
blackandgold4ever05

blackandgold4ever05

A friend of mine has been patient enough to try and teach me to tie my own flies. I know many of them could be done better and they will be next time, but my buddy says, "they will catch fish". Most of the patterns used were from him. Also a couple zug bugs I did on my own but didn't have the correct materials. Take a look and tell me what you think. I really enjoy tying and know I will get better with practice.

Here is a coffee bean beetle that I saw online somewhere and my buddy and I tried it out. Haven't fished with it yet but everyone says how much it resembles a beetle.
9-11-2010Ericab-day018.jpg

Hendrickson's
1-18-2011007.jpg

Sulfer
1-18-2011011.jpg

Pheasant tail nymph
1-27-2011032.jpg

The secret weapon
1-27-2011028.jpg

Zug Bugs
1-18-2011017.jpg

Grannoms
1-18-2011012.jpg

Black&gold,
They're quite nice and - yes- they'll catch fish. My basic advice to new tiers is to keep flies relatively sparse and avoid trying to tie in too much material. Welcome to your new passion.
I've never experimented with coffee bean beetles. Does the coffe bean float? If not, I'd use a different material like closed cell foam. Also, how is it attached? If it's glued I would not be too confident of its durability when you're jerking it around to get it out of a trout's mouth. To be sure, the bean produces a very nice, lifelike look and could really be enhanced with some model paint but this would produce a fly suitable for display under glass but maybe not so hot for actual fishing.

The coffee bean does float on its own. It is just super glued on there but seems sturdy for now. I don't think it will be the most durable fly but neat to try out. I did use lacquer on the coffee bean to give it that shine. Thanks for lookin.

I've used the coffee bean beatle and it was durable and caught fish..... they all had a slight caffene buzz when I released them

The coffee bean beetle is effective. Beware that I have never been able to determine if it's legal on FFO or DHALO waters.

I coat the bean with hard as nails after I tie it ,floats all day and catches fish !!!!!!

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 2
Is it just me or does that bad boy look like a big old tick? Your flies look good.....

HAHA to bad I cant tie worth beans HAHA.......

sorry for the bean joke :lol:

What's your legs on the beetle?

Back