Plan of Attack

jayL

jayL

The last two seasons were the first two that I would consider myself an actual fly tyer. I've had my vise and some of my materials for ten years, but never considered it more than an occasional hobby.

Last year, I tried tie about 85% of my flies, buying some specialties or difficult flies from shops. This year, I'm going to 95% to 100%,

For those of you that tie all of your own flies, how do you manage your time tying?

Last year, I mostly tied for trips as they came. This time, I'm trying to knock the bulk of it out before April, just topping off the essentials and experimenting throughout the year. So far, so good. I have worked up an impressive pile, and I'm allowing myself to take it slow and concentrate on detail.

How do you do it? Massive tying blitz over the winter, or as-needed? If you are doing the winter blitz, how is it coming along?

I tie mostly as needed but I am starting to do the bulk up in the winter time thing more . I actually gave a lot of flies away to members of my TU because they were store bought and I only want to fish my own ties now .

well i have been tying 90% of my flies and i only buy from small shops to help support them especially if they are helpful other than that i tie flies every night but it really depends on the mood im in wether i tie alot or a few or just all different ones but im thinking i will be on a tying blitz tying atleast 2 dozen of each pattern maybe only a dozen if they are dries and maybe 6 of each streamer ......to start off the season then ill tie as needed replacing what i lose

I tie the bulk of my flies in winter, especially so when work is slow.
I try to tie every night sometimes 5 sometimes 25 depending on the complexity of the pattern. I replenish in season to replace popular flies or fill in the blanks -size or color- as the situations present themselves.

i tie up the flies that are prevalent most of the time first (bwo , caddis , ) first , then big dry hatches , sulfurs etc. then i tie emergers and junk flies too. tying comparaduns using deer hair instead of tying them parachute style speeds thing up considerably. i also tie in conjunction with the arrival of the bugs ..

Last year was my first full season of fishing and tying. When I got my vise and materials I tied some of every known hatch in the US. Sure it was fun but a big waste of time and materials. I did learn a ton of techniques by doing this.

Beings I am currently unemployed I have been tying anywhere between 5 and 25 flies a day. At first I was tying experiments but the last 3 weeks I have concentrated on BWO, Sulphurs and generic nymphs with an occasional streamer or bugger mixed in.

I have enough of the above now to get me through this season if need be. I want to make sure I have enough time for my caddis, cahills, etc. but plan on adding to my stockpile in season as time allows.

Drys I tend to tie 3 of each size anything subsurface I try for 6 sometimes more.

I have also been recycling hooks of last years ties that are sub par or I know I'll never tie on. I have also critiqued each of last seasons "good" ties and if the tail is to thick, hackle's to long, or thorax is to thin it gets retied.

I have plenty of flies to last years (with a ton more I give to kids).

So I tie mostly in-season. Whe I get back from a fishing trip I tie according to what I saw that day, but don't go overboard. this keeps me from over-stocking like I did in the past.

Over the Winter, I tie in short burst lasting from an 1 fly to a dozen. The Winter is when I tie flies that take awhile to tie (stonefly nymphs, my emergers, etc.)

I tie year round, if not for the shop then for myself. Winter is the big time to tie, all day long.

Last year I did my best to be prepared before the season started. I knew I wasn't going to get everything done so I tied many of my general patterns in the winter and my early hatches... basic nymphs (HE, PT, Prince) caddis in all stages, sulphurs, March Browns, rusty spinners, and griffiths gnats. I then made a push as those were ending towards terrestrials and attractor patterns like hi viz adams. As the summer crept in I stock piled my steelhead box. I expect to have to do this for the next 2-3 years as my boxes dwindel, I know what patterns I like best, and I eventually have more flies left over from prior years. Then I will only have to tie up some that I lost from the season prior. I'm working in a system of storing flies soon so that I can be prepared for each "season" of fly fishing. It looks like an unsurmountable task early on, but I think it can only get better.

Ryan

Same here. It'd always be a couple of each fly as I needed them, but I found myself tying a lot this winter. I just bought a few slim tackle containers from cabelas. Only a few $ a piece and they each have 20 or so compartments. I've filled my box and a nymph container so far since that's what I usually fish. I'm also good on steel, wets, and streamers. Now I'm working on filling up a tackle container for each.

My next project is working on a selection of dries and emergers. Aside from caddis and griffiths, at any given time I'm lucky to have a couple sulphers, terrestrials or adams on me.

I go to my computer every night intending to tie...and then get caught up on here or ebay or some other fly fishing information pages...

I get serious just before trips or known fishing days...and then typically tie "go to flies" without much experimentation...Just need to be snowed in for a few days...

My problem is I am considered "essential" to report to work...which I can walk to from my house...maybe some fly tying flu might be better....

Boss

I tie in preparation for fishing trips. I also like to take my tying stuff with me on fishing trips and leave it at the cabin/motel room. If I find that I need something I do not have, then I will tie up a few either over a lunch break or after dark. I try to stock up ahead of time, but it seems that I am only able to do so with quick and easy patterns. Most of my tie are done shortly before I need them for fishing a particular stream or hatch.

I tie as needed. I like to tie different patterns that I find on the net and also what people put on this site. This gives me a chance to try different techniques and fly patterns. I get bored if I keep tying the same fly over and over and over.

There used to be an article on this site called Procrastination Fly Tying by Lou Wentz. It summed up my style. I make mental picture ofmy boxes and if I am planning a trip expecting a hatch, I tie what I may need for that hatch usually the night before I leave or am late leaving because I waited til the last minute.

My flys are not pretty and rarely follow popular recipes because I use what I have on hand rush to "Git 'er done" but my flys catch fish.

Here is the article by Lou Wentz Procrastination Fly Tying

Maurice,

I probably have a half dozen of your flies scattered about my boxes, and they do catch fish. Thanks for the article.

Back