Parasol Style

marcq

marcq

Ok here's my day I was fishing on a wild stream with smaller wild fish. Caught a few small fish when I come across two or three really nice fish. I watch them taking something underwater and I assumed it was a midge around size 24. Couldn't get them to bite. I have seen these fish for the past 3 weeks and it's always the same thing. What I'm looking for is a good midge pattern that these very slective trout will take. I was thinking a parasol would be good but I have no experience with fishing these flies. What do you guys think?

how far below the surface were they feeding ? seine the stream with an aquarium net to see what is there..

Maybe 4 or 5 inches under and smaller fish were taking the off the top. And the only thing in the air was a small olive midge so that's what I'm guessing it was.

Try using a zebra midge or something like that as a dropper behind a Griffith's gnat. Adjust the length of the dropper to get the midge in position.

i tried zebras with no results. maybe liter tippet smaller size fly. im gonna catch one of these fish.

I have tied parasol nymphs in the past with marginal success. I keep a few in my box but only use them when appropriate. Sometimes they work, sometimes not.
It may be worth a try for these fish if you can tie the flies up yourself. I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on it though, may not be the ticket. I have ties small nymphs, 20s, for this purpose. I use parapost for the parasol puff at the top off of 3X tippet which is used for the parasol post.

Back