Parachute flies

B

burghwolfe

I know how a parachute type dry fly is physically different from a regular dry fly. My question is in what situation would you use one versus the other. I assume that the parachute would ride lower in the surface film but is that the primary difference? Would the parachute fly imitate a spinner?

I use parachutes 90% of the time. I just think they represent a dun better.

One reason, as you stated, rid lower. Another is the legs out to the side. I also think para post gives a great representation of dun wings (shine, shape and flare).

Some people think that they can work as spinners. I prefer them as duns.

sometimes pressured fussy fish will take a parachute over catskill , the body size and color is more visible to trout and they sit in the film like a natural would too

I actually prefer tying them to catskill type dries. But I have never actually tied one on streamside. I really hate tying dries using hackle tips as wings so maybe I will start tying up more parachutes

I tie a few parachutes - along with comparaduns - to use on fish that won't hit my regular catskill style flies. Or for fish that I missed - to give them a different look. But I do the bulk of my fishing with traditionallly styled flies

Comparaduns, parachutes, best thing since the electric light, love them, they're are my go too!

PaulG

I also use parachutes and comparaduns 90% of the time, i`ll use a catskill fly, say a wulff tied fly in fast water i think they float better than the other two in fast water

I use Comparaduns and Chutes basically all of the time, sometimes i will use Stimulators or an attractor on fast water.. but those are pretty much dont carry any catskill dries

I tend to like catskill style for large mayflies, like MB's or GD's. I guess because with the bigger hooks, I have too many sinking problems with lower riding flies. I also use things like Wulff's sometimes when brookie fishing fast water, with no backcast, you need something that floats high on its own.

But, generally speaking, I'm a fan of parachutes and comparaduns except for in those specific situations. All my size 14's and 16's duns are basically parachutes or comparaduns, which covers quite a few species.

I do use separate spinner patterns, but have found that either of these will work in a pinch, if I'm out of the true spinners.

i remember a few years back there was a guy on laurelhill who was absolutly murdering the trout on top but heres the weird thing there were no risers anywhere except to his fly i asked him when he was leaving if he didnt mind letting me in on his secret all he said was pink fox compradun what bug would that represent ?

i use a parachute as an emerger. i use a curved hook and i add antron or something like that to the tail end to mimic a shuck. that fly is a killer

flipnfly wrote:
i remember a few years back there was a guy on laurelhill who was absolutly murdering the trout on top but heres the weird thing there were no risers anywhere except to his fly [color=CC0000]i asked him when he was leaving if he didnt mind letting me in on his secret all he said was pink fox compradun what bug would that represent ?[/color]

Likely a female hendrickson pattern, but it's a mystery to everyone except the fish why the hit some flies and shun others. Just when you think you have them figured out...the light switch turns off!! :-?

Just remember there are no magic flies. Some days they work but the stream conditions, the hatches and the fish change constantly. The real key is trying to figure out what day/conditions/hatches what fly is likely to work and having that fly in your box to try.

Back