Non-Hackle Dry Flys

ErnieBall

ErnieBall

What are some good dry fly patterns that do not use hackle? I am really no good at tying in hackle and I definitely need some work on that. I've been tying some pale morning duns and they have been coming out great -- any other good dry flys that dont use hackle?

Get some CDC and deer hair. CDC flies and comparaduns work well. Just modify the colors, and you can tie any pattern you want.

i have deer hair -- thats what i have been using for the featers of my PMD's -- i'm not entirely sure what you mean here though

like this....

Attachments

• no-hackle_bwo.jpg
    no-hackle_bwo.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 4
but say i were tying an adams --- wouldnt the fact that i wouldnt have hackle on the bottom of the fly effect its flotation?

the cdc will keep it afloat. Sometimes when the body sits low in the film and the wing sticks up out of the water, fish like it better. Sure hackle would help. I uses cdc and still usually tie it parachute style. That sits low and floats really well, but you are trying to avoid hackle, right?

Yeah, comparaduns and cdc flies float lower, much like a parachute fly. I've caught more fish on a parachute adams anyway. :)

The real question is why you hate hackling so much. Do you have decent quality feathers? I hated it too, until I got some good saddles.

tom: yea, for right now at least --- i ve gotten halfway decent at some nymphs that i've tried, done ok with streamers, and doing well with drys that dont use hackle, so I basically just want to keep tying and working on getting better without getting frustrated because i cant tie in the hackle (thats my main problem, i ve watched a ton of videos, i just cant tie the hackle in when i have it at the hook eye) - so basically, i just want some dry patterns i can work on without using hackle

jay: well i kind of touched on it in my last post -- but i have not been able to tie the hackles in --- i've been using hackle pliers and have tried multiple times - i just dont have the hang of it yet -- i am using my dads old feathers ( they are probably about 10-15 years old) - but they are still in pretty good shape as far as I can tell --- they are rooster saddle feathers -- if that helps -- but yea, for right now - me and hackles dont get along

Here are some articles- sitting lower in the film can be very desirable. Wish I could offer more first hand assistance but I have troubles of my own.... Here are some ideas on no hackle flies.

http://www.flytyer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1616&Itemid=90

http://www.jeffwilkinsflytying.com/Dry_Flies.html

I don't understand your problem with tying the hackle in. Can you be more specific about that? I'm sure someone here could help.

Here's and easy caddis as well...

http://www.jackgartside.com/step_cpf_no_hackle_caddis.htm

jayL wrote:
I don't understand your problem with tying the hackle in. Can you be more specific about that? I'm sure someone here could help.

ok -- well maybe i should clarify -- i can tie the first part in , before i start wrapping it -- that is no problem ... so i tie it in , start wrapping... and say i'm trying to tie an adams... once i get the hackle up to the tip of the hook, near the hook eye, i cant tie it in there... for some reason i can tie the hackle in without either #OOPS#ing up the hackle that is already wrapped around, or without it looking like a total mess.... if i do get it tied in, its not very reliable... many have just come apart on me

get it? i know i didnt do a real good job of explaining it,,haha

I have no idea if it's the "correct" way, but here's how I do it:

I lay the feather on the hook and tie it in pointing back, toward the bend of the hook.

I wrap it forward to the eye until satisfied. At this point, I lift the hackle pliers and remainder of the hackle straight up and wrap it about 4 times with thread. Then I trim the feather and tie in the head.

It takes some practice, but it works.

do you have the underfeather pointing up or the top of the feather pointing up?

Concave (bottom) side up.

Not sure what the "right" way is, but that way makes sense to me. I think that's it though.

for dries you ti the feather in at he thick end of the stem. You should have the tip in the pliers. concave pointing toward eh eye...

tomgamber wrote:
for dries you ti the feather in at he thick end of the stem. You should have the tip in the pliers. concave pointing toward eh eye...

thats they way i've been doing it --- just not gettin the hang of it yet, i guess -- i'm gonna try and practice some today

one thing a lot of beginner will do ( I did) is tie to close to teh eye and then they don;t have enough room to tie it off properly or create a decent head....

here's a whole slew of videos to help...

http://www.theanglersnet.com/Fly-Tying-Videos/archives.asp?section=6

Back