Newbie Summer Pattern Fly Swap ..

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

To me it looks like the 1st one is going well and everyone is not only enjoying but learning which is a win - win. In this swap we exchange what u gents deem summer patterns used on Pa waters. Can be to catch trout, WW species and/or both … ur choice and what ur comfortable with.

As with the first …..

-1st 12 rooks to sign up
-2 flies per (can be same or 2 different ur choice)
-Deadline is May 23rd
-Pics and recipe when finished
-Include SASE with ur flies
-I will PM address as deadline nears
-Label ur tin with ur name
-As last time recommend using a padded shipping envelopes

As Dj said with our 1st swap ..… Let’s have some fun as this isn’t a competition. Also want to encourage any newbie tiers who just joined the board, caught wind of this, just got into tying, etc, etc … it is open to any newbie/rook tyer.

Stags - Foam Hopper and Beetle

What foam are you using? I've tried a couple and can't get it cut right. Comparing the foams I have to a rainys grand hopper, I'd say the foam I have is to dense. Everything else comes out good, but when the body is cut wrong/misshaped it just ruins the whole thing for me.

Right now I have no clue or idea what I'm going to use .... I'm following a book to hone my 'skills' but there are no foam patterns. Might as well test it out on u gents :lol:

Im down. Dont know what im tying yet but im in fo sho.

I'm in. Not sure what it will be for ties, but I'll come up with something(s).

Gave it some thought and make it tentatively an ant and a streamer to be named later.

Bump

We only have 3 ... anyone else?

Yeah lets go...summer swap!

I found the 2mm foam sheets at craft stores is all you need. I have bought the 2mm foam Wapsi makes in tan as I couldn't find the exact color I wanted in the craft store. Close enough to the stuff in my opinion.

As far as cutting, it's a little trial by fire if it's rectangle I go about the space in the hook gap and use a ruler to try to keep it as straight as possible..

If it's a more structured body like a crease fly I played around until I got it where I wanted and made a pattern out of cardboard I use over and over.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Is this one going to happen ? If so I'd be in

I would get in on this swap,but I am concentrating on tying flys for the jam,i would be in for june though.the warm water fishing is fun,me and gencon have a blast bass fishing out of my canoe in nockamixon and tohea lakes.

What do you consider s newbe? Someone new to the site or tying?

Kevin

I'd like to join if I can tie a black beetle or Griffiths gnat.

Sorry guys … dealing wit some shinola @ home the past week+ or so and haven’t been keeping up on the board. So far we have 6 but patterns still need to be decided. Considering where we are gonna push the deadline to May 30th or June 6th … whatever u gents decide and I’m cool wit it either.

Stags - Foam Hopper and Beetle

J55tyger – not sure ???

Djs – ant and streamer to be named

Pro4 – says he’s in what patterns?

Mic – in but needs to name flys

Laszlo – beetle and gruff gnat

We have room for 6 more max so let us know.

easternfly wrote

What do you consider s newbe? Someone new to the site or tying?

Kevin

We'll can go either or :lol: and u r more than welcomed to join this very laid back non-pressured swap. If ur experienced .. feel free to join but I wouldn't expect perfection from us. Take a look @ the thread on our 1st swap and u'll get an idea on what u'll be swapping.

Stagger, the after Jam dates would be fine with me. I'll try to decide on a pattern or 2 soon. Best wishes to you and the family. Thoughts and prayers again

pro4 wrote:

Stagger, the after Jam dates would be fine with me. I'll try to decide on a pattern or 2 soon.
Yea ... we just finished with the others anyhow so we'll push it to June maybe even the 15th. I think the time will be sufficient and should work for everyone

pro4 wrote:

Best wishes to you and the family. Thoughts and prayers again
Thanks pro4 but I think u might have me mixed up with someone else on the board. I'm dealing with some shinola but more 'pain in the arse' shinola thank god ... nothing that would need thoughts and prayers. You let us know the patterns when you decide and have fun @ the jam.

Ya foot inserted in mouth, Stag

Lol ... no worries.

I just starting tying this year, and my ties are far from perfect. If there is still space though, I would love to get in on this.

paragon wrote:

I just starting tying this year, and my ties are far from perfect. If there is still space though, I would love to get in on this.

You will fit right in paragon but if u r unsure just read this thread

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/open-forums/fly-tying/beginner-tyer-swap-idea-----/5,34243.html

let me know if ur a def and what patterns u prefer. I'll put u on the list.

Back