New vise

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Thinking of getting a new vise and I want to upgrade to a rotary. Anyone have a griffin? Thinking of this one.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat20534&id=0011287315600a&navCount=4&podId=0011287&parentId=cat20534&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=QZ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20534&hasJS=true

I have heard decent things about the griffin, but it still seems like the renzetti traveler is the standard rotary option for most tyers.

Regardless of which one you choose, I'm not sure I'd want to spend that much on a vise that doesn't have a pedestal base. Clamps suck, imo.

I agree with Jay, the pedestal base is the way to go. I just finished a long search for a rotary vise and it came down between the renzetti traveler and the peak rotary vise. It was basically a dead heat. I talked to owners of both vises and neither of them had a bad word against their performance. I ended up going with the peak in the end and am very happy with my selection.

Regardless of what you go with, make sure you look at it in person and be sure to read any online reviews.

Clamps are good for travling..Prefer a pedestal when tying at home..

I have a cheapo clamp right now. How hard is it to tip the pedestal when you really yank down on your ties. Like I use 210 thread to tie my egg patterns and really pull hard. Do you guys who have pedistal's have any issues with stability?

Nope. The pedestal weighs over a pound. The center of gravity is so low that it's stable.

I'm probably getting some gift cards for christmas, so I'll be going to the store in WV to purchase a vise. I def want to check them out in person before I purchase one.

How bout this one Ry.

http://anvilusa.com/The_Atlas_Vise.htm

or

http://www.peakfishing.com/TyingVises.html

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%201/so_many_vises_$100-$150.htm

Some reviews on those two and more.

Personally I'm not a fan of the knob controls of the griffin and vises such as the renzetti traveler.

Definitely check them out. Maybe they'll even let you tie a few flies on them to see which you like best.

Nice thing about the anvil is it comes with both pedestal and c clamp bases.

I use an anvil and have never had a problem with it...easy to use, holds tight, adjusts easily, versatile, and durable.

I’ve been using a Griffin Patriot Cam vice for the past three years. This was an upgrade from a cheap clamp on. The Patriot came with both the clamp base and pedestal base. I haven’t used the clamp on base yet. The Griffin pedestal base weighs 4 pounds and there have not been any problems with the base moving.

The Patriot has two adjustment screws and the cam lock to work the jaws. My friends that own Renzetti’s have trouble working the jaws on the Griffin Patriot. The Griffin Odyssey looks like it has one adjustment screw and the cam lock to work the jaws. Overall I am happy with my Griffin vice.

I've tied on the renzetti traveler with the cam jaws for a number of years now and have zero complaints. I would suggest it to anyone.

That being said, I've never tied on another rotary vise, so I really can't speak to it in comparison with other vises.

I have that Griffin'scheaper little brother, and its not bad, but its got its drawbacks.

The screw adjustments can be a real pain to use, there's always a little fidgeting with them even when switching between hooks of the same size. Its hard to get the rotary knob to be adjusted to my liking, and the biggest issue is its tight at the back end of that hook.

I also rarely use the rotary function. I'd say never use it, but I did when I made some MOE eggs, or when I want to look at the underside of a tie. There's no substitute for the former, really, and the latter could be done by any rotary vise, doesn't need to be true rotary.

If true rotary isn't a requirement, I'd buy a rotary Regal, preferably with the stainless jaws.

Ry,

I have that vise and love it. I don't use the rotary as much as I though I would.

I would definately by that vise again.

I've had it for at least 4 years and there's no sign of wear.

Sometimes you have to buy yourself something nice!

I would recommend the Peak vise. You can get it from cabelas for the same price as the one you are looking at.

I'm a Renzetti Traveler owner for years now and love it. That Griffin looks fairly similar and seems like a nice vice. You have a good idea in going down and seeing your options in person before buying. Hec ask if you can tie a fly on it prior to buying. Worst they can say is no. Good luck and enjoy :)

I have a couple of Griffins including the equivalent of what gfen has, though I bought a jaws kit at wholesale from a relative and rigged it the way I wanted because I already had an older Griffin. I don't mind the knob adjustments, though I can see how others would.

Note that the arm junction (I'm not talking about the jaws) that creates the angle needed for rotary includes a sleeve that is held together by a knob. I think as long as you maintain the lowest possible level, then using firm pressure will not be an issue. If you raise that up because you want the whole thing to provide more clearance, that might be an issue of slipping as you use it repeatedly. Just a thought.

On the Renzetti the design is different, and more solid, but then you can't make any adjustment (again, not talking about the jaws).

If I was doing it again, I would split the difference between the $85 and $150, and buy a knob model renzetti traveler at $125 which seems to still be avaialble at Orvis. You have to specify L or R hand with the renzetti.

Buggy, thanks for the heads up on the base. Def fixes that problem.

I think I just like the looks of the Griffen. I know that means nothing in practability, but ohh well. I appreciate all the input on here, which helps me make a good decision when it comes down to it. I tie atleast 1000 flies a year, so it'll get its work for the investment.

The main reason I need a new vise is because my vise I got 3 years ago crapped out on me. The knob to adjust the jaws stripped on me and won't hold anymore. I luckily got a gift from a buddy... a 1970's circa fly tying kit with a vise in it. I've been tying on that for a few months now.

Ryan

What are those vises I see pictures on here that don't have jaws. They have a metal ring that you slip the hook through and it tightens from there?

I think you mean the little electronics wire clips they use to hold the flies after they're done?

Like these:
radioshack-miniclip-jumper-wires.jpg

Or are you referring to the vosseler vise?

http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/Vosseler-Fly-Tying-Vise-P1050C186.aspx

They're nice (I've played with them) but not worth the extra $$ IMO.

Here are a bunch more images of that vise if you're interested.

http://flyfishingforums.hipwader.com/viewtopic.php?id=2191

Back