New vice keep it simple...

Coudersportguy

Coudersportguy

Well needed a new vice after selling my Renzetti Traveler a year ago with all the bells and whistles, that I realized I did not use all that stuff like bobbin rest, gallows pole, full rotary, streamer arm etc... I just need a device to hold a hook not spinning and poles and such like a mini tabletop stripper stage. Hence the purchase of an original D.H. Thompson A vise with original box for the price of a lap dance. If the legends of tying could create a masterpiece on this vice it's good enough for me.

Attachments

• IMG_6090.JPG
    IMG_6090.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 8
A vise for the most part is a vanity object. As long as you can correctly adjust whatever vise you are using, you have what you need.

I tied on a Thompson for 20 or more years. It worked well and I never had any intentions of upgrading to something "better." Then I inherited a rotary griffin and have been using that for about two years now. It was my fathers and I use it cause it was his not because it is any better to tie flies on. I still use the Thompson for my bigger stuff and I have yet to use the rotary feature of the griffin. The rotary feature is so foreign to me that I don't understand what others see in this feature. That Thompson will serve you well. Enjoy.

really it depends on your needs.

I still tie mostly on my DK pro, its a sweet vise for what I do. I did have to buy the midge jaws as the guy I bought it from at the time kept them, figured I'd never have to tie 20's or smaller...whoda thunk it.

My sidewinder however has been money well spent. As a comm. tier having a full true rotary has been a godsend in time savings, and tighter flies as well! Its not needed for itsy bitsy stuff...for meat flies the guy I tied for made a living behind one. Sure wish I had the speed and consistency he head....but I could still hold my own with it.

Needed? not necessarily for everyone.

almost 30 years on my Thompson A vise ....still going strong.

I still have an use my Herters Vise that I bought when I was in 9th Grade over 40 years ago. My go to vise is my Danvise, but the Herters vise is still set up and able to be used.

Try this site:
http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/reviewCat/1

Back