New tying kit

• Thread starter JakesLeakyWaders
  • Start date
JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

After losing a few items this year during a move, including my first cheapo tying kit, I decided it was time to go replace it.

So instead of fishing yesterday, I went and replaced my lost kit with a slightly better one. i even bought a fancy big plano tackle box with the sliding removable bins and lots of storage. I plan on tying lots of nymphs, stoneflies, streamers, and buggers in an assortment of colors and sizes.

For now I will probably purchase any 18 or smaller dries from a store, since I'm not so good at tying very small dries.

I'm definately stocked up and ready to tie some deer hair stuff.

I'm really excited about tying some bass streamers, clousers, deer hair poppers and some hoppers. :)

For now I will probably purchase any 18 or smaller dries from a store, since I'm not so good at tying very small dries.

Don't be afraid to tie those smaller flies. They use very little material, and with just a little practice (and some good magnifiers) the smaller flies are easier to tie.

Take a small Zebra midge for example. Thread body, bead head, rib of wire. Al's rat, just a thread body and some dubbing.

With a little practice you will see that smaller flies are nothing to shy away from.

Smaller flies are easier, IMO. Less wrapping and less materials = less mistakes. Small patterns, as a general rule, are simpler too. The two patterns George mentioned are actually the first two tiny flies that I ever attempted when I got my first packs of sub 20 hooks. I have no idea how I remember that.

I really only have trouble with very small hackled flies, like an adams, or BWO, the nymphs I can tie for the most part, sometimes I use to many wraps though.

I really enjoy tying new buggy patterns in sizes 8-12, and stoneflies are a good pattern for me.

I going to start tying Lefty's indestructable bugger, I use brown and olive buggers a lot, got some big #4 hooks for them to go on too.

Tie and fish some of these!

http://charlesmeck.com/a20030900.html

...and yes, small hackles are tough. I will post a size 20 BWO on the baetis thread that Jayl started. With the genetic hackle packs, where you get those 8" long hackles it makes it easier to hackle small flies. Give it a try, you will be proud of yourself!

JG

Good read, I like how he refers to bait anglers using the word "garden hackle", as a refence to the worm.

Back