My tying kit and four streamers I tied last nite

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

I been playin around at the bench and I like having a nice box to organize my tying material I bought a Plano with organizable boxes that tuck away, it's nice.

I tied four streamers last night on sixe 6 x3 long hooks. Just doing some experimenting, eventually I'll find a pattern that looks good to me and reproduce it over and over, but I like variety too.

Attachments

• My tying kit.JPG
    My tying kit.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Smaller baby brown weighted.JPG
    Smaller baby brown weighted.JPG
    482.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Streamer with red deer hair gills.JPG
    Streamer with red deer hair gills.JPG
    479.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Weighted baby brown trout streamer.JPG
    Weighted baby brown trout streamer.JPG
    479.6 KB · Views: 4
  • yellow gray with red wraps.JPG
    yellow gray with red wraps.JPG
    572.7 KB · Views: 4
Hmmmmm. Eyes, yeah!

Nice ties.

I only really use marabou and rabbit hair for my streamers. I will have to start tying some bucktail style stuff.

Buy some beadchain from the home improvment store, and just tie them inverted with beadchain eyes for the hot spot?

I think the yellow and gray I used are elk hair, it's a little longer than the deer hair.

I have olive deer hair, I find it is shorter than I would like to work with, however I like the color, the green elk hair I have is too bright, better for tying bass flies, but I really like the way the red deer hair looks tied toward the front of the fly to represent the gills.

I think I will start experimenting with it until I find a good looking pattern that deserves the name "Jake's Baby Brown".

Deer hair doesn't have as good a movement as craft fur, and then marabou is tops. A little red antron makes a good, flashy, gill as well. I have some yarn that I just brush out, tie in, then clip real short.

Or, I wrap a little section of red thread behind the head, so the red will flash a bit when the hair moves.

Another trick I like is to wrap the whole body in that clear, pearl, mylar. I don't know the proper name, I think its flashabou? Its just like tinsel, but clear. Really gives a great, fishy, appearance to whatever colour thread base you use.

gfen wrote:
Deer hair doesn't have as good a movement as craft fur, and then marabou is tops.

Yes, but that can be advantageous. If streamer fishing in fast water, marabou will slim down to the size of a needle. Deer hair, on the other hand will hold it's shape. Marabou is my favorite, but deer hair definitely has it's place.

gfen wrote:
Another trick I like is to wrap the whole body in that clear, pearl, mylar. I don't know the proper name, I think its flashabou? Its just like tinsel, but clear. Really gives a great, fishy, appearance to whatever colour thread base you use.

Try pearl easter grass! Its the perfect time of year to grab some on sale. Cheap and works wonders for the bodies of streamers like that. I tie one that is white marabou tail, pearl easter grass wrapped for the body, and white marabou collar. Works like magic!

Jake: Runs to go find the kids easter baskets!

Huh, that is perfect... The stuff I'm talking about is the clear version, but I think I'll be hitting the dollar store on teh way home today to add some more to the collection. It'll be nice for big, busy streamers where I can just use it without thinking about the cost involved.

I love cheap stuff.

Nope, kids had purple, blue and green, and it was the paper type.

Looks like Elmo is going to get a slight trim. LOL. That is a covert operation only attempted during naptime.

While that is a reliable source for the red dubbing I never remember to buy and so rarely use, I can't bring myself to do it.

Those fuzzy red blankets, on the other hand...

ps: I hate Elmo. Everything about him. Its that stupid way Elmo refers to Elmo in third person.

Elmo is very annoying, however I favored Grover as a kid.

Here are three more from today, all with the gills. I tried for a baby brown trout and two chubs or minnows.

I am new at streamers and I am really starting to like tying them. I feel like I am getting better.

Let me know what you think about them or if there is one that looks like a winner.

Attachments

• Baby brown with gills.JPG
    Baby brown with gills.JPG
    363.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Black gray white gills brown tail.JPG
    Black gray white gills brown tail.JPG
    547.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Minnow gills.JPG
    Minnow gills.JPG
    549.3 KB · Views: 5
Jake
I think everyone of those ties is awesome and will catch fish.

Personally and I credit gfen with this: I prefer tying my steamers Clouser style. It helps the deer hair and marabou ungulate and run deep without adding to much split shot to your line.

Give it a try

I don't have any bead eyes to tie clousers, but the last three all have about 10-12 wraps of lead near the center of the hook. I like a little weight on my buggers and streamers.

I need to make a list of supplies for the next time I have some money set aside for tying materials, the stuff that you can't find on your own.

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
[color=CC0000]I don't have any bead eyes to tie clousers[/color], but the last three all have about 10-12 wraps of lead near the center of the hook. I like a little weight on my buggers and streamers.

I need to make a list of supplies for the next time I have some money set aside for tying materials, the stuff that you can't find on your own.

Clousers use lead eyes not bead chain. I prefer the plain split shot grey ones.

just wait, before you know it all your tying stuff isn't going to fit into that plano box - nice ties!

Bead eyes are just lighter, cheaper lead eyes.

No bead chain? No light pulls? No keychains? No....well, OK. Keychains pretty much sums up everything short of light chains.

I spent $6 for about a mile in beadchain in black, brass, gold and silver at Home Depot. I swear they used to have a by-the-foot section with the really big beads, but not when I checked.

I should see if othe other home improvement sprawlmarts carry that, actually.

Back