My first Ties...

wayne32pa

wayne32pa

Take a look and give me any feedback. This is the first time I've ever tied my own flies and I'm keen to improve :)

Wayne32pa

Keeping in mind that I'm not a great tier, and catch fish on flies that look just like that:

I think I can almost tell which ones you tied first. A few of the hairwing caddis looking flies seem a little rough, but there are a few real good ones too. I'd say a little practice should get you there pretty soon. It looks like you've made progress in this batch alone.

Perhaps, also, use a bit less dubbing on your dry fly bodies.

Your streamers look great! I'm loving those winged wet flies too.

They all look great to me. Maybe just a fe less hair srands on the hairwings, other than that, they should all work well. You gotta keep in mind that not every insect that hatches is perfect in every way and trout, being basicly lazy tend to pick out the cripples first. Maximum food intake for minimal energy expenditure.

They look fantastic for your first tyes. I'd say that most tyers are doing about as well.

If you have any questions about tying, post them here. There are some great tyers on this site.

Wayne- Looks like you are off to a good start. While it is hard to tell from the photos, here are a few hints to start with.

1. The somerset fly show in Jersey is only about a 1hour drive from you. There are tons of tiers and you can belly up to the tables and ask questions and observe. I suggest the drive.

2. When you start tying, make a lot of one fly. I never tie less than 6 exact flies. It is more efficient, and believe me, the 6th is better than the first.

3. Thread pressure. In almost all situations the correct thread tension when you are tying is when the thread is just about to break, and when then hook is about to break! Use lots of thread tension, a real lot. Your tying quality will improve, and flies will be more durable. There are a few situations with hollow (deer, elk) hairs where you have to lighten up. Any yes, sometimes the first wrap needs a little less to capture and position, but concentrate on maximum thread tension.

4. I would find a good source on fly design to get the proportions down right. If I can find one on the web I will forward it to you. I have a few good books, actually more than a few. I have also attended classes. The proportions are critical.

Those are my beginning tips. Enjoy tying at the bench, and check out that Fly Fishing Show. It is a good one.

Cool thanks for the feedback , I'll post a few better photos next time :) Also do you know of any fly tying courses in Philly? any help much appreciated

Wayne,

I've had no time to check this out yet, but once I get out of school I am going to.

http://www.mainlineflytyers.net/

That's right down the road from the city, and might be worth a look. I think Fred goes, or at least used to. Fred, any insight?

I attended Don Bastain tying clinics at Fishing Creek Angler. They were Friday night to Sunday afternoon affairs. Considering two nights in a B&B, two big dinners, two lunches, two breakfasts and instruction by Don it was an awesome deal. I went two years in a row and my tying skills improved significantly. Don is an incredible tier. We had some really good times once the "vises" were put away for the day.

The only ones I see are:

http://www.fishingcreekangler.com/clinics.lasso

These are for the classic flies that Don specializes in. Not really my thing.

Wow i really like them Wayne. Mind sharing patterns for the first row, 2nd down and last row 4th down.

Those are great. Is that nymph with the glod bead and k-flash tail a pink squirell? I can't really tell.

they look pretty british,and will surely catch trout.

particularly like the diawl bach,the sawyers PT with the oh so english green thorax,and the
....well i like a lot of them.

good luck to all.

Those flies look great, a little different than most ties. That's a good thing to show the fish something a little different.

For fly tying classes, I recommend that you contact The Sporting Gentleman in Media, which is in Delaware County, right outside of Philly . The shop's name "The Sporting Gentleman" even sounds British, and it's one of the best shops in SE PA.

Fly Tying Classes at The Sporting Gentleman

$99.00 per person

Beginner Tying Class, 5 consecutive Tuesday evenings, January 15 through February 12, 2008 7 – 8:30 PM

Intermediate Tying Class, 5 consecutive Tuesdays, February 26 through March 25, 2008 7 – 8:30 PM

Here's the link:

The Sporting Gentleman tying classes

Good luck.

Afish I took the classes at the Sporting Gentleman with great results I am tying alot better than people who have been doing it alot longer than me now because I learned the basics the right way.

JAYL I am a member of mainline fly tyers and I would have they are probably one of the top 5 clubs in the state they are very organized and have great speakers and club events

Back