Messing around

marcq

marcq

Sand eel pattern. Aluminum foil and epoxy.

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww149/marcQ2/EFF3DBED-63DA-4980-AAC6-901DF48F2079-7042-000005B585C02872.jpg

So how did it come out ?

If it catches fish it's a winner. ;)

It looks very realistic. That being said I don't know how long it will hold up. I guess we will see this fall. I did one that is completely covered in epoxy and one with the hook section covered.

Looks cool. I would worry it would crack...
Might help to have a mesh like material to act as "rebar"...sparkle braid comes to mind but that's already used in a lot of sand eel patterns

I'm hoping it doesn't rip when casting but I was also thinking covering it in a soft silicone material. Haven't got the clear cure goo but I might give their flexible one a try.

better tie a sh*t ton of em for when they fall apart

Phil took your advice and added a peace of 50 pound Dacron that I use for rigging dead eels also used supper glue through the whole inside. One question I do have is with the hook now. I am worried tha with the foil going down so far to the bend of the hook. I feel this might decrease hookup ratio. The first pic is the one that I'm worried about. The second is at a angle so the hook is more exposed. Let me know what you think.

Marc

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww149/marcQ2/EE400B73-EDA2-403E-9D87-944131A25D9C-3743-00000360676F593E.jpg

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww149/marcQ2/DA06CB86-94B0-4D41-9BBB-1E6442ADC041-3743-000003606E50CC19.jpg

so you have a piece of tinfoil that's stiff from super glue with a Dacron center. most likely it will still tear and shred. The hook is fine, it will crush on first fish. if you are worried go to a larger size. what about color and movement. Sand eels have a lot of movement in the water. If you color it you'll have to seal the color on tin foil and then you are defeating the movement. second one will flip upside down from the weight the balance of hook is off..

The foil is folded a few times but yea it could deffently rip easily. The super glue makes it stronger. I'm not expecting them to last long. Just looking to see if bass of blues will eat it. Then maybe try to find different materials to make it last longer.

As for movement I was going of the idea of lures like Ava dimond jigs. They really don't do much but swim stright with a jigging action. The bass love them. I dont have to high expations for the fly lasting long but if it catches fish ill keep tying them.

Marc

Here's a pattern made from some kind of tyvek type of material. It stays together and moves well in the water. Can't help you on what the material actually is, though.

Attachments

• fly rod fluke.jpg
    fly rod fluke.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 4
all the ava's i ever used the have a swimming motion with the tail being separate from the body. the tails have color too. I sweep the rod from 12" to 2 ft. at a time to get the action. Maybe from a boat dropping straight down they act like a jig but from shore they fish different.

afish where did ya get the pic, looks interesting ??

sandfly wrote:
all the ava's i ever used the have a swimming motion with the tail being separate from the body. the tails have color too. I sweep the rod from 12" to 2 ft. at a time to get the action. Maybe from a boat dropping straight down they act like a jig but from shore they fish different.

afish where did ya get the pic, looks interesting ??

Sandy, it's a stock fly from Orvis. I posted the link. Here it is again:

Fly Rod Fluke

Good luck on your trip, Sandy. Catch a bunch, have fun and stay safe.

will have to pick up one or 2 while I'm up there (orvis and american museum of fly fishing)

Always thinking outside the box Marc, good job! When we hitting up the beaches??

I've seen that fly at Orvis a few times - they actually sell the material. Its a mylar type of material. Sort of acts like those chinese finger handcuffs

Back