Messing around with Woven nymphs

jeremymcon

jeremymcon

I was reviewing Dynamic Nymphing in preparation for a day fishing with lv2nymph, and I came to the section where George Daniel gives a few examples of nymphs. I remember thinking that the woven Czech nymphs were really cool looking, but when I first read the book I hadn't started tying flies yet.

I found a video on youtube that demonstrates how to weave nymphs, and it was surprisingly simple! The thing I need to work on is how to keep the top and bottom of the nymph even.

I tied my flies with some uni yarn that I just happened to have on hand, but the pattern actually uses uniflex floss. I can see lots of possible variations on this pattern. I think eventually I'm going to try a scud pattern with a floss or yarn back, woven with clear mono over a dubbed body.

20131004_170343.jpg

20131004_162535.jpg

20131004_162546.jpg

This nymph was tied using chartreuse and brown ultra wire rather than uni-yarn.
20131004_162337.jpg

The large nymph in this picture is a size 6. The pattern in the book says that the fly should be tied from size 6 to 12! Size 6 seemed ridiculous to me, but I happened to have some size 6 scud hooks, so I tied one just for fun.
20131004_162757.jpg

Nice job Jeremy. That's funny, I've been doing the same thing. Make sure you bring them with you Sunday.

Much easier to do with a felt-tip pen. Been doin' it since the 70's with caddis larva, stonefly nymphs, and mayfly nymphs.

Yea, but then you don't get the cool shape.
woven1_zpsf8fcbf78.jpg

woven2_zps5057d7f2.jpg

And it's fun...
Once you get it you can really fly with the weave.

outsider wrote:
Much easier to do with a felt-tip pen. Been doin' it since the 70's with caddis larva, stonefly nymphs, and mayfly nymphs.

LOL..........+1

mind posting a link to the vid you watched on youtube.

Loren Williams has a really good tutorial for the shuttle weave on his website: Loren Williams Shuttle Weave tutorial. It's not a video, but good step-by-step pictures. That's how I learned. Once you get the rhythm you can bang out a bunch of these quite easily.

don't worry about the size 6, I have caught some nice trout, and even some small ones on caddis larva flies that big. I think you'll be surprised at how well they work.

outsider wrote:

Can't you just make 10 louder?

Here is a woven glow in the dark luminous maximus caddis.

Attachments

• CSC_0255.JPG
    CSC_0255.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 4
StarvinMarvin wrote:
mind posting a link to the vid you watched on youtube.

http://youtu.be/mcAGxUmyhLQ

The_Sasquatch wrote:
But these go to 11

Damn.....you beat me to it.

The key to a good weave is a completely smooth and tapered underbody. If you don't build the body completely smooth, the weaves won't lay correctly It is just practice from there.

Back