Just bought some embroidery thread

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Just picked up 13 packs of embroidery thread. Hope to have up some woven fly patterns soon. I want to tie mostly original nymphs and such but if anyone has any patterns they think are better than others fill me in.

The packs are just 30 cents a piece so i i should be able to have a lot of flies. I will keep at this practice and post progress.

Mike was it cotoon or silk embroidery thread that you purchased. I like to wax my cotton thread it seems to give them a longer life since the water doesn't deteriorate the fibers as much. I use a block of beeswax. Just a thought.

Thread was cotton. thanks for the tip

Try the basics. Tie up some prince nymphs with a thread that most resembles peacock herl. You could even use some of the sparkly stuff, it makes a more durable/dense prince. Same with pheasant tail nymphs. I started tying droppers that are CDL Tail, Brown-Olive woven body, copper ribbing, tungsten bead with a spikey thorax, in size 18's.

Honestly the best advice for woven flies is to go to google and type in "woven flies." It will give you a bunch of different ideas.

i tye a lot of soft hackles and wets with embroidery floss bodies

Here is an interesting pattern. There is also a tutorial on how to weave that is a lot easier that the 2 bobbin way.

http://opff.org/a_thunder-nymph.php

Good info. guys. This is something that I have wanted to learn to do for quite some time. I have watched a number of folks tie woven flies but havn't tried it myself yet. Mike, keep us informed on how you are doing and post up some pictures of your flies. Good stuff!

Back