Jungle Cock

R

riverwhy

I wanted to tie up some Little Brook Trout Streamers as I lost my last one on Hammer Creek last week. Can you get real jungle cock or a suitable substitute? The flies I tied were from a while back using the paper ones which I didn't care for too much. Clousers is my closest shop here. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jay P.

I use starling though i have the real Mcoy too. I get jungle cock in the store now and then..usally whole necks..

Sandfly,
What is the cost for a full neck? I use them on occasion and I'm always on the lookout for supplies. The few I have seen were not of outstanding quality; split nails, poor coloration, etc

Jim Kearney

Jim depends where I get them, 125.00 and up.

Yes, and if you own your own fly shop, you can make them a tax write off. OOPS! Now you're gonna get it. Wait until LJ finds out. You'll be right up there with the Yankees and Blackwater. :lol:

Sandfleas
Do you give senior discounts ?
Does Obama get special pricing ?

Not to cut into Sandfly's biz but Linesend.com has Jungle cock capes from $170 up to $250. I need to get a starling cape myself.

BTW they also have grade 1 partridge for $35 I bought 1 6 mo ago for $20. WOW

You can repair the splits with flexament or something similar:

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/march2007/320

You can get a "fishing grade" neck for about $60, or you can buy packages of individual nails fairly cheaply. Starling is a serviceable alternative, but this is one feather for which there really is no substitute

I'm waitin for the flocks of starling here to come by..will be gettin a new supply for the shop again.

Thanks DMT. I remember reading about nail fixing but couldn't remember the source.

Sand, I'll try to get up your way in the near future. I have a cabin near Lock Haven and its not really that far.

Jim Kearney

Back