ISO Nymphs

F

Fishidiot

Some recent Isonychia nymphs I spun up for the Delaware this weekend. They're size 12 and use a black bead under the wing case. ISOs tend to be rather cylindrical with small heads, short tails and, of course, exhibit the white stripe over their top, in this case, done with heavy white thread.

Attachments

• ISOs.jpg
    ISOs.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 18
nice flies for sure, not sure if there will be water, came up along the reservoir (cannonsville) its down further than any time I have seen it. west branch is free flowing into it a long ways. should be able to view some big browns in there pre spawn..

check out millers iso emerger....great little soft hackle fly

Nice lookin' ties, Dave. Good luck on the D this weekend. Looking forward to the report. TL

But are they flat?

Flat enough , nice set of clones ya got there Dave , HAVE FUN

Chaz wrote:
But are they flat?

I don't think they need to be flat. The Iso nymphs I have sampled have a triangular profile. Meaning they the thorax if cut in half would look like a triangle.

Also, it is my assertion that the reason hares ears and pheasant tails work so well (tied in a round cylindrical fashion) is because...wait for it.....trout see food coming at them in two dimensions**. Everything is flat. So no matter the angle the fly approaches at it is likely it will resemble a single view of the natural. This is why it is more important to have the "parts" than it is to have them exactly correct in proportion or size. Trout do not roll a fly over and check the BMI of a fly before eating it. Nor do they compare it to an FBI "wanted poster" to see if its a natural.

**Note I realize the trout "see" in three dimensions. I am referring to their; see, choose, eat, decision that has to be made almost instantly.

Nice flies David

Dave,

Those look great. If I knew you had those with you, I would have offered to buy a few. I was out. We saw a fair number of Iso on the water Saturday and Sunday.

Dave, nice Isonychia nymphs.

Let's hear some tales of success having used them?

Dave R.

OldLefty wrote:
Dave, nice Isonychia nymphs.

Let's hear some tales of success having used them?

Dave R.

Thanks guys.
Alas the trout in the upper Delaware were not so fond of 'em (either swung or dead drifted). :)

Dave, that was then. Next outing may yield different results.

We need to remember that trout don't take every natural that drifts by, as well.

Dave R.

OldLefty wrote:
Dave, that was then. Next outing may yield different results.

We need to remember that trout don't take every natural that drifts by, as well.

Dave R.

Old Lefty knows...lol

I've fished an Iso nymph pattern identical to FI's flies for a long time and have caught an awful lot of fish with them. The D is tough since the fish feed when they want, if they want, and what they want. If and when they want Iso's, the pattern will work.

If and when they want Iso's, the pattern will work.

This is so true with many patterns on many waters. Out of the many hundreds of trout so far this year I have yet to catch a trout on a beetle or a Hares Ear. I know it sounds impossible but I must only use them when the fish don't want them. LoL. I laugh every time I tie one on cuz I know what the result is gonna be but I still tie them on and go thru the paces. Lol.

nice flies. does anyone use ostrich for the body? i just picked up some ostrich feathers from spruce creek outfitters this past weekend after double checking that there was no season in pa for them! quite expensive in my opinion for 1 feather but if they work then it was worth it. what is the iso nypmh immitating? kind of reminds me of a slate drake?

by the way nymphing on the little j on saturday was unproductive...got skunked, where did they all go?

the penns seemed to hold at least 1 trout in each nice piece of water, managed to land 5 on sunday there.

Mutz,
Thanks. Ostrich is indeed a good material for ISOs, esp as ribbing to get the abdominal gills.

ISO is short for Isonychia which is just the more technical name for "slate drake."

you are welcome fish idiot. met a guy on the kettle this spring that used a goose biot as a white stripe on the top of the shank, how important do you think the white strip is?

The white stripe probably isn't important from a fish-catching point of view. I tend to like realistic fly patterns that represent specific bugs and fishes. It might make a difference in very clear water where trout are keying on slate drake nymphs. I can't say I ever personally recall such selectivity but others who fish this hatch more than I may differ.

Back